New EKI Spangen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New EKI Spangen

Well, I finally caught one of these little birds (darned if they haven't gotten pricy!). I'm told she's a "classic" BH Mayer. Opinions welcome

Scott
    Attached Files

Hardware
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Full glory
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Herc1
          (darned if they haven't gotten pricy!)
          well wow! if you're gonna buy a gleaming mint beauty, in it's case, what do you expect?!
          and yes, a classic, awesome one at that, enjoy
          regards
          jon

Comment

This is a beautiful Spange, and I don't have any doubts about it. In fact, I own one exactly like it that is also cased! However, I wonder if it indeed is a Mayer Spange, because I see slight differences between my example and another Spange I have which is attributed to Mayer. (My other Spange exactly matches the Spangen often posted on this Forum as Mayers.) The differences between the two are in the pebbling around the date and swaz and also that the "Mayer" Spange does not have the excess bit of metal where the wreath meets the date bar on the right (eagle's left) which is visible on Herc's piece and is present on my cased version.
            Any thoughts? (I could be wrong. It happens all the time! )
            George

Comment

Are the tight open angles between the lower wreath and date bar an area that would have been hand-finished, and possibly slightly more material removed on one side than the other, and might differ from piece to piece?

Scott

Comment

Yes, but that wouldn't account for the differences in the pebbling.
                George

Comment

George, any chance of posting pictures of both your Spangen you mention for a detailed comparison?

Thanks.

Scott

Comment

Here's some detail and I hope it shows it. (These suckers are bright and I really need a new camera....)
                    This is from the Spange I call "Mayer." Notice the size of the pebbling to the left of the top of the "9". Notice also the large pebble just off of the end of the top left extension of the "1."
                    Attached Files
                    George

Comment

Here's the same area from my cased example, like yours. Notice how the pebbles to the left of the "9" are larger. The distinct pebble off of the "1" is not present. Also, it's hard to see but inside the loop of the "9" on the Mayer the pebbles form a kind of circle with a pebble in the center of it. On my cased example (and, I'd bet, yours) those pebbles are less distinct and more random.
                      These are just some areas where the pebbling is different. If you held both pieces in hand you would see more difference in the pebbling elsewhere around the date and around the swaz.
                      I'm in no way questioning your piece. I have just wondered about these minute differences!
                      Attached Files
                      George

Comment

Thanks George - I think I see the subtle differences you're pointing out. Intersting

Scott

Comment

Scott you caught yourself a real beauty!

Comment

I just couldn't resist a family portrait
                            Attached Files

Comment

I sold the spange to Scott and it still looks like a Mayer to me

Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X