Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bar To EK1 - Variation?

Hi Everyone!

Forgive me any mistakes I'm about to make: this is my first post. Anyway, I could do with a little help. I have a bar to a EK1 and it is unlike any I have seen previously (or for that matter been able to find on the web), it is of a much better quality, with regards to the detailing, especially the wreath - the edges of the leaves are raised, as is the central vein. The swastika is also different from the others I have seen: it measures 5.25mm whereas the others I have are 6mm. Presumably, this is the second form (as Forman) of the bar. However, the quality and details seem to be closer to the scalloped version.

The bar has a flat tapered pin.

Any advice that can be offered would be most gratefully received. Is it a rare variation? How does the value compare to the more common type of Spange?

Thanks again for any help / information.

All the best,

TobyR.
    Attached Files

Dear Toby,

Welcome!

You will get a definitive answer if you post your spange again. Try a 90 degree angle to the spange´s surface, so we can see the detail clearly. Also a pic of the back is needed.

As described in Moderator/author Gordon Williamson´s book "The Iron Cross Of 1939" on page 464, there is a fake spange coming out of England that resembles yours. This repro should be unusually thick, hard to tell from your picture, but your spange seems to be a bit in the thick side.

There is a role model for this fake, also pictured in this book on page 185 top right. I have an example of that spange in my collection, which is pictured below. While it seems similar at first glance, note that the triangle shaped feet feathers have a line through them on your (and the fake) example.

However, not all is lost. Please show more pics of your spange, maybe there is a still a chance for it to be good. While the pin on my badge is the classical pin found on this type spange, there might be other valid pin constructions. Let´s just see it.

Cheers, Frank
    Cheers, Frank

Comment

reverse
      Cheers, Frank

Comment

Hi Frank!

Many thanks for such an expedient response. As requested here are some (hopefully better) photos of the spange. On the plus side (at least I think it is) 'shear marks' can be seen on the sides of the spange. By the way, it's approx. 2mm thick (maybe just under).

I'd wanted to post a photo of the back earlier: it didn't occur to me to post the photos in separate posts: duh!

Anyway, thanks once again.

All the best,

Toby.

Comment

Photo 1:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by TobyR; 01-08-2003, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Sorry about the size of the earlier photo: this one should be better.

Toby R.
            Attached Files

Comment

Dear Toby,

Just under 2 mm sounds good! The repro is way thicker.

As you can see, your spange has that line in the triangle shaped leg feather and the stance and character of the eagle´s head is a bit different. But from the looks I would say your spange is good.

Let´s wait what Gordon has to say to this.

Cheers, Frank
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Dear Frank,

Many thanks for your thoughts on the spange. Encouraging words re. the thickness. As for the feather detail - I see what you mean - hopefully, this is indeed a variation.

Gordon - should you happen to read this I'd truly appreciate your thoughts on said item.

Thanks again,

Toby.

Comment

Toby,

Your Spange rings some bells with me. Let me go through my files and see what I can find. I'll get back later today.

Comment

You just got that book!

Frank,

You must be burning the midnight oil to be on page 464 already! Didn't you just get that book Thursday?

Mine is on order and I can't wait.
                    Tim

Comment

Here is the fake Spange which was being touted as a Deumer L/11. Nice pin, well made, but way too thick, and with that heavily cut line Frank mentioned across the bottom of the triangle formed by the eagles leg.

The one thing that does stand out on Toby's Spange is the way in which the reverse profile shows the shape of the wreath to be heavily contoured. I have seen this to a much lesser degree before (i.e. the Meybauer Spange ), but never quite as heavily as this.

Comment

Gordon,

Thanks for getting back to me on the spange. Very interesting point re. the wreath, when seen from the reverse. This point hadn't occured to me until I read your post.

So, in conclusion, would you say that my spange, although it is a variation, is a good one, i.e. not fake?

One more thing - you mention about the thickness of the Deumer fake, for future reference, how much thicker is said fake?

Thanks again for your help.

All the best,

Toby.

Comment

Received Gordon's Book Today!

Just received my copy of "The Iron Cross of 1939" this morning--Only leafing through it, it appears to be a great book what I've seen thus far. Nice job Gordon and thanks!

FYI, I ordered it from Bender Publishing on the 9th and received it already, so the Christmas rush/back order delays should be over.

Toby:
                          Gordon shows the fake Deumer in his book (Pg 464, under Reproductions) and though no actual measurement is given you can see a side shot and it's over twice the thickness of an original. Hope that kind of helps.
                          Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X