Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zimmermann EK1 question.

Hello all,

Just a quick and possibly basic question about this maker. I know that they marked the crosses with a "20" as well as double marked them "L/52" and "20". My question is as follows. Did they mark them with just the "L/52" I haven't seen any nor have I found any written evidence that points to this.

Just a thought. Hope you guys can help.

Thanks,
    Greg

Hi Greg,
    I just pulled my Zimmermann out and it is marked L/52 in a rectangle under the "c" clasp on the cross itself. I like the Zimmermann crosses as the outer arms seem to be finished in a way that makes the rim look smaller and the iron core seem bigger. If you know of a brass centred Zimmermann for sale, let me know as I'm after one at the moment.

Brett

Comment

Hi Brett,

Can you post pics of you "L/52" marked cross. I wonder if it is the same one I talked about in a previous thread; now on page two. If so, than it differs from the "20" and from the double marked crosses. I, unfortunately, cannot make and post pics yet.

Thanks in advance

Best regards,
      Al

Comment

Hi Al,
        Like you I am unable to post pics but I had a look at the thread you mentioned and a Zimmermann EK1 should not have a wide bellied pin! They all have the straight pin including the unmarked ones with brass centres. A Zimmermann cross should be easy to pick as they have several points to identify with, one being a distinct pattern to the beading at the inner corners, two is the straight pin with a stand-up hinge and the third being that they have a thinner frame at the ends of the arms giving the impression of a larger centre. I know it's hard to explain without a pic but if you look at the thread you mentioned on page 2 you will see what I mean with the one pictured. All in all, one of my favourite crosses!

Cheers,
        Brett

Comment

Hi Brett,

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I was wondering. I have four typical Zimmerman crosses in my collection:

1. double marked "20" and "L/52" (w/ Brass center)
          2. marked "20" (w/ brass center)
          3+4. marked "20"

Those have the typical "Zimmermann" features. My "L/52" (marked in a box by the hook) is totaly different. I already began to doubt myself thinking it might be "L/53" but then you described one that sounded like it could be similar to the one I have.

However, if I got you right, you're saying yours is a typical "Zimmermann" with an atypical maker's mark, right?

Best regards,
          Al

PS yes, they are some of the nicer ones indeed

Comment

Hi Al,
            Yes, mine is typical Zimmermann with all the features of this maker. Mine only has the L/52 in a box below the "c" catch though with no marks on the pin at all.

Cheers,
            Brett

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X