• Show
Clear All

Patina ends & dirt begins

Just curious as to where you folks think that
    A nice Patina ends & just plain dirt begins
    Also haveing figured out that fine line , would you clean dirt

Thanks
    ~Buddy~

A "patina" is a natural discoloring of a medal's surface that comes from long exposure to the elements. It is a change of the metal ITSELF. Dirt, on the other hand, is any foreign substance that is sitting ON the medal.

A patina does not "wash away" easily. Usually you have to polish the medal to remove the patina. IMO this is NOT ADVISABLE because many collectors, such as myself, like the natural aged appearance that a patina has.

Dirt will usually come off by soaking the medal is a soapy solution, then dabbing it away gently. I usually remove dirt from my medals because I believe that prolonged exposure and contact with "dirt" will eventually cause corrosion. Look at a "ground dug" medal to see what I mean. In most cases, removing the dirt will not affect the patina...However that is NOT ALWAYS the case.....

If the dirt has been sitting on the medal for a prolonged period of time, then the portion of metal under the dirt will not have developed a patina at the same rate as the exposed metal. Thus, when you remove the dirt, the underlying metal may be brighter and fresher looking that the rest of the patina. Also, if there is a gooey or sticking substance on the medal, like tar or adhesive, the removal of that substance can "lift" the underlying patina away, again leaving a brighter surface where the substance had been.

I think the answer is that you have to assess each situation independently and proceed with caution when cleaning your medals.
    Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Over the years, I have come to take a dim view of cleaning. From my experience, it always ends up detracting from a piece , and in this day and age of super fakes, dirt, patina, wear...call it what you want, are some of the only true indicators we have left. Clean an item, and it will be forever "messed with" Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Complete agreement.

If it is truly grungy and needs something, then warm water, mild soap, a soft cloth, and maybe a super-soft baby's-first-toothbrush would be the limit.

But generally, do nothing. Please. The dirt is part of the history and you run the real risk of doing some irreversible harm.

Ed Haynes

Comment

I remember polishing my first KC.....
          I was young.

Comment

Ok.
            Heres why I want to Know. I got a German Cross in gold from Detlev
            Looks like an unmarked Zimmerman.
            The black swaz in the middle is clean as the day it was issued, the patina on the metal star burst is well patina'd ( wouldnt touch that).
            But the white enamel was dirty,I could almost wipe clean with my finger, to a mint condition. I always assummed "patina" was the natural oxidation , or ageing process , by which a metal,, cellouos , ect,,ect,,took on a toned color (darker in most cases) I became in essance part of the metal
            EX
            Silver when it tarnishes for to long gets Black spots that cannot be removed
            I do consider tarnished siler to be Patinae'd
            it not a matter of cleaning to wash away the history ,, I was think more in terms of just removing the dirt build up on the white enamal
            ~Buddy~

Comment

Hi Buddy,

Your remarks are a bit confusing:

1) there is no white enamel on a DKiG (or DKiS) just black enamel filling the swastika´s frame.

2) the star burst should have no patina either. The FINISH there can only come off by wear and expose the base metal.

I suggest you post a pic of the cross and do nothing to it in the meantime.

Cheers, Frank
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Hi Frank
                I will post a pix a soon as possible
                Im probley not useing the correct wording.
                Im refering to the white "yoke" on which the black enameled swaz sits

you state: that the starburst cannot patina only the finish can come off through wear ( paraphrasing here)
                the most outer parts of the star burst , which ive seen on mint oneare slightly silverish in color,, mine is dark & aged

dam I wish I could post a pictur,, it worth a thousand words
                this is why I hate Instant messaging
                Thanks foor your input. Frank & all
                I will leave it as Detlev sent it

Love the letter of authenticity Detleve send,, ther pretty cool
                all dealer should folloew suit
                ~Buddy~

Comment

heres a pix of the obverse,, hope i did this right
                  never uploades a pic before
                  Attached Files
                  ~Buddy~

Comment

Heres the reverse
                    Attached Files
                    ~Buddy~

Comment

Seems there is a lot of confusion over terms here. Patina on silver is indeed attractive and much to be desired as anyone in the antiques trade will tell you. Patina is however generally defined as a "luster" or "Glow" which comes to silver caused by tiny surface scratching from regular use of polishing.

The unsightly black or purplish finish which silver will attain if not cleaned is actually a mildly corrosive chemical reaction between the silver and sulphur in the atmosphere to form a layer of silver-sulphide Just as iron if left unprotected will react with oxygen in the atmosphere to form ferric-oxide (rust), so will silver to form silver sulphide (Tarnish). All it tells you is that the item has not been cleaned for a lengthy period, but a fake left for a long period will develop the same Tarnish. Tarnish develops at different rates depending on how the silver is stored. A fake item kept near a coastal area (i.e. salt air) will develop Tarnish far faster than a genuine item which has been properly cared for.

Tarnish is no longer a good way of determining originality and is no real indicator of age as fakers have long since been able to artificially induce darkening of silver- done too quickly it can look too purplish, but it is far from difficult. It has been done for decades in the coin collecting hobby as a way of "recovering" old coins which have been buffed /polished. Try wrapping a polished silver coin into the middle of a bundle of rubber bands. Fakers also use this method to age down new looking fake bullion embroidered items.

Comment

Thanks Gordon
                        for the tip on one of the fakers techniqes
                        Ive no doubt that the DK is real, I for once did some reserch on these medals
                        But the term patina Vs dirt was always a gray area with me
                        mush appreciated
                        ~Buddy~

Comment

Patina ?

"But the term patina Vs dirt was always a gray area with me"
                          wunquote
                          was the pun intended Buddy ?

The support what Gordon says... having been involved in other areas of the antique trade as a dealer I can tell you that a silver sulphide is very easy to reproduce on silver items....boiled egg yoke is a favourite, and the rubber bands (as Gordon mentions) are only two methods. To reproduce the the lovely blued hue of (what is often termed "case hardening") aged pieces is rather more difficult.
                          I will OCCASIONALLY gently wash a piece, and then dry very very carefully... but be very careful of the backing disc of the DKiG, Buddy. For all collectors though, I would recommend that as a general policy dont handle items without wearing white jewlers glooves... acids and oils from handling are best avoided.

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Hi Chris
                            Actually it was a pun, but I thought no one got it

I own a few WW2 daggers a 1 model luft & a SA swimmer
                            I use white gloves, altho I must admitt i useally don/ or forget with low end items
                            Thanks for your input
                            ~Buddy~

Comment

(Put on flak helmet, tighten chinstrap)

IMO what you have there is dirt and crud, and I would give it a clean.

Seba
                              Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X