Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DKIG opinions please

Is this good or bad?
    Last edited by Erich Krausse; 02-28-2007, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

It manufacture DESCHLER, but the wreath looks like Zimmermann.
              We can see large films of a wreath with date?

Comment

i am sorry erich, but this is not an original cross.

Comment

Hello

I'm not totally convinced as to the originality of this piece. My main concern is the pin and hinge set up on the back and the rivets. The pin appears more substantial than I would expect to see on a very early Deschler piece. The early pins tend to be quite thin, (and I mean thin), and flimsy looking in comparasion to the later versions. The rivets, although having solid heads as these pieces did, appear larger and more pronounced than other examples that I have seen.

That said, it is belived that Paul Meybauer made some of these DKs with Deschler until ordered to stop as they were not approved manufacturers of the DK. So I suppose, given this, that there could well be some variances to be encountered.

However, on the whole I would tend to agree with Stefank and say this is probably a fake.

Have a look at these two links on DKs and the Deschler DKs.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/germ...ufacturing.htm

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/germ...heler_sohn.htm

I hope this is of some help.

Regards
                  David

Comment

David, I'm learning here, so bear with me. On the 2nd link provided, the pin of the very first 12 rivit DK looks very much the same as mine, as far as thickness and length is concerned, the base the pin is on is slightly different.
                    The skinny pin doesn't show up until the second example shown. <p>Would it be logical for a faker choose to fake an earlier more complex example (12 rivit vs 4 or 6) than a latter more commom example. Are there known fakes of this particular 12 pin DK?
                    Erich

Originally posted by DavidM
                    Hello

My main concern is the pin and hinge set up on the back and the rivets. The pin appears more substantial than I would expect to see on a very early Deschler piece. The early pins tend to be quite thin, (and I mean thin), and flimsy looking in comparasion to the later versions. The rivets, although having solid heads as these pieces did, appear larger and more pronounced than other examples that I have seen.

That said, it is belived that Paul Meybauer made some of these DKs with Deschler until ordered to stop as they were not approved manufacturers of the DK. So I suppose, given this, that there could well be some variances to be encountered.

However, on the whole I would tend to agree with Stefank and say this is probably a fake.

Have a look at these two links on DKs and the Deschler DKs.

dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/german_cross/description_manufacturing.htm

dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/german_cross/description_manufacturing/descheler_sohn/descheler_sohn.htm

I hope this is of some help.

Regards
                    David

Comment

Hello Erich

The first DK is a ten rivet type, (no twelve rivet DKs were ever made), but as stated the manufacturer needs confirming. The pin and hinge set up on that item is of an EK1 variety and even if proven to be a Deschler would be an extremely rare variant. So yes, it is a broader, more substantial pin but is extremely unusual - maybe even unique, especially as it appears to be from an EK1. In this case I would imagine that the faker would stick a known early pattern rather than something that might be questioned due to its unknown nature and uniqueness.

I have never seen an early ten rivet Descher with a pin like yours, (which of course doesn't mean or prove it's a fake), but nor have I seen or read of any like this in any decent reference books. There are some excellent fakes of the Deschler DKs out there including the ones marked with the "1" which, according to Gordon Williamson in 'The Iron Cross of 1939', have been reproduced with almost perfect accuracy. Incidentally he also list the early Deschlers as having the small, thin pin.

Hopefully some of the other members will provide their opinions, but sorry, I'm not totally convinced that this piece is original.

Regards
                      David

Comment

erich,

as already said, your DKiG is an eastern fake. the hinge/pin is exactly the same as on EK1 copies, often marked L/54. sorry

Comment

In my opinion a reproduction. The wreath is badly made and the overall finish reminds me of the many reproductions made of this award.

Sorry.
                          Peter

Comment

Here is a detail of the wreath on cross above. The 1941 date is badly defined.

Cheers.
                            Peter
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X