German Cross in Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Cross in Gold

This is a heavy badge weighing in at 43.4 grams that I believe is authentic. It is inscribed on the back "Eddie Chuha" which I assume is the guy who brought it back as a souvenir. Is it really real and if so any idea as to the maker? There is no MM and there are two rivits under the pin that do not show in the photo's.
    Attached Files

Back
    Attached Files

Comment

Close up of 1941
      Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by Bobwirtz; 01-18-2007, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Hello

In my opinion the cross has the appearance and characteristics of a Deschler made piece, (maker mark 1). From what I can see in the photos it appears to be heavily worn as all the grey / black has gone from the 'sunburst ray' leaving the base metal showing. The lighting in the photos isn't the best, but it looks promising as an original item. I have to say that I have never seen one with every single bit of the grey / black so completely gone from the 'sunburst ray'. Do you know if the previous owner removed the grey / black from the cross ?

As to the inscription, I have no idea. Your guess may well be correct - but I don't know.

Have a look at the section on the German Cross. It contains a lot of useful information:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/germ...ufacturing.htm

Regards
          David

Comment

Thanks for the link David - great info. I am going to place this piece in the questionable/unknown category. It has the been there look, the quality of manufacture is good, the wreath is definatly die cut, rivits, catch and pin look good, under the microscope it looks fine, but .. the thing that stands out to me is that the inner star should be black and not gold colored. It does not look like it ever was black so I am at a loss. Richard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X