need opinion on unmarked EK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need opinion on unmarked EK1

What do you think of this unmarked EK1? Original or fake? Does it look like the back pin was repaired? Unmarked. Thanks in advance.
    Rolly

pic of back
    Attached Files

Comment

pic of front
      Attached Files

Comment

Zimmermann?

Looks a lot like a pair of Zimmermanns I have (one unmarked). Pics a little fuzzy, though.

Comment

Reproduction in my opinion.

Sorry.
          Peter

Comment

Dont be sorry. I havent bought it yet. I wanted some expert opinions before I take the plunge (as you can tell, Im pretty new at this). The guy says it was acquired in an estate sale in Germany. I one thumbs up and one rejection on the item. Would appreciate a few more opinions. Thanks.
            Rolly
            P.S. I just bought an umarked EK2 from Kai Winkler for XMas. I thought his reputation was impeccable but Im surprised others have ended up getting repros. Should I post pics of the item here to be sure its authentic?

Comment

As Peter did say it******180;s a repro
              Mikael

Just to add some mumbo jubo, that core is supose to be a S&L 4 L/16

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

what makes this a repro?

would someone mind teaching me on what makes this a repro? Remember, everyone has to start at the beginning! Ive compared this EK1 to pics of originals and cant tell the difference outside of lack of a maker mark (which some originals have), I cant count the notches at the rim and I believe its a 3 piece construction. I cant see any major flaws in design so I dont have a clue.
                  Rolly

Comment

The hinge is trying to look like a "20" I think but it is not quite right. Here's a mm20.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RollyD
                      Dont be sorry. I havent bought it yet. I wanted some expert opinions before I take the plunge (as you can tell, Im pretty new at this). The guy says it was acquired in an estate sale in Germany. I one thumbs up and one rejection on the item. Would appreciate a few more opinions. Thanks.
                      Rolly
                      P.S. I just bought an umarked EK2 from Kai Winkler for XMas. I thought his reputation was impeccable but Im surprised others have ended up getting repros. Should I post pics of the item here to be sure its authentic?
                      Hello

My opinion is to pass on this one and look for another. The set up on the back just doesn't look correct for an original.

As to Kai Winkler, I have bought quite a few items from him and have never had any problems. Virtually all the pieces I have have been shown on here and have had the 'thumbs up'. The best advice I can give is to learn everything you can about the items that interest you. Try to see, and if possible handle known original pieces. In short learn what you can because at the end of day you, and only you, needs to be 100% happy with what you are purchasing. We have all at some point been caught out with the really good fakes - and that includes dealers such as Kai Winkler and Detlev Niemann. What would really matter is how easily you are able to return a disputed item to the dealer and how quickly they refund you.

Regards
                      David

Comment

Thanks Terry. I see the difference in the hinge construction. Is that the only fault here to help me identify the original vs. fake?
                        Rolly
                        P.S. I think it would be helpful to newbies like me to have a thread on different clasps/pins for EK1s. I am going to use your picture to start it off and hopefully others will contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by RollyD
                          Thanks Terry. I see the difference in the hinge construction. Is that the only fault here to help me identify the original vs. fake?
                          Rolly
                          P.S. I think it would be helpful to newbies like me to have a thread on different clasps/pins for EK1s. I am going to use your picture to start it off and hopefully others will contribute.
                          A lot of this info you refer to is already here in this forum. Do a search on a particular maker and you will find photos and comments. The members' section also have a great list and photos of most EKs. If you scroll down to the last section of the discussion section you will find a fakes gallery. I know it is nice to get a from other members but there is plenty of info in here somewhere for most people to do an initial check of their new treasure.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X