EK1 - non magnetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK1 - non magnetic

This is an EK1 that was sold as non magnetic and purchased that way years ago. It is three piece and non-magnetic. When measured against original EK2’s its dimensions are the same. It is light weighing only weighing 11.1 grams. The frame appears to be silver while the hinge, pin, and catch appear to be plated brass. The plating is almost completely worn from the top of the pin and more evident underneath. With regard to the hinge, the retainer pin seems to have been set similar to a rivet on a Luftwaffe badge meaning there are swirl marks at least on one side seen under the microscope. The paint has heavily touched up on all arms, especially the top and right and left arms. In some cases the touch up is along the arms where it meets the ribbed silver and a lot of the center portion and swastica has been done over. The rear is smooth but has very light parallel horizontal marks visible with the naked eyes. No maker marks on this one. I will note that the ribbing at the corners of the cross appear to extend outwards. Expecting the worst – let me have it. And thanks. Richard
    Attached Files

back
    Attached Files

Comment

more
      Attached Files

Comment

bored yet?
        Attached Files

Comment

had enough?
          Attached Files

Comment

I am surprised I have not received any comments on this cross. Is it too weird to render an opinion? Are the pictures not adequate? Just not enough examples of this type known to people? Out and out not good? AM I in the twilight zone?

Comment

Originally posted by rfleming32
              I am surprised I have not received any comments on this cross. Is it too weird to render an opinion? Are the pictures not adequate? Just not enough examples of this type known to people? Out and out not good? AM I in the twilight zone?
              Hi Richard. To me, this has all the hallmarks of an original Souval cross. Like you mention, this cross has been repainted ... and not very well at that.

Comment

It looks like a good, if repainted, Souval to me too.
                George

Comment

Just for grins, the story that went along wit this piece is that it was a submarine EK1. Why a submarine crew person would need a non-magnetic badge escapes me as they were in an iron coffin but that was the story. Any truth to this? Perhaps it would throw off a compass or something? Anyway that was the mythology at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by rfleming32
                    Just for grins, the story that went along wit this piece is that it was a submarine EK1. Why a submarine crew person would need a non-magnetic badge escapes me as they were in an iron coffin but that was the story. Any truth to this? Perhaps it would throw off a compass or something? Anyway that was the mythology at the time.
                    Well, up until a few years ago, rumors abounded that Brass cored EK's were made specifically or linked specifically to Kriegsmarine personnel. The reason being that they would be less prone to rust like their iron counterparts around the salt water environment (which would be true). However, evidence has shown that Brass cored EK's were awarded to other branches of the military other than just Kriegsmarine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X