Gerd Schreiber's DKiG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gerd Schreiber's DKiG

Well, this is a particularly nice Cross that I just had to share here. It was my Christmas present to myself and one that had a perilous journey in and of itself recently after being misdelivered to another address in another country due to the mail carrier inadvertantly swapping mailing labels with another package!

Overnight shipping and a month later and it finally arrived at the correct address!

I have been looking for a nice 4-rivet Deschler for sometime and kept missing some of those nice ones that recently appeared on the e-stand. Luckily, Gordon Williamson came to my rescue with this beautiful 6-rivet piece.

This is Gerd Schreiber's (Commander of U-95) German Cross and I believe only the 17th awarded cross to U-boat personnel during the war. I believe Gordon will have this Cross shown in his new book on U-boats coming out later this year.

Truly a beautiful piece and so much more for having a documented history. Enjoy!

Tim
    Attached Files

The case is not original, but a copy of the correct early small style that would have been used in this case. It was thrown into the deal free of charge and really is nicely made.

Here's the front and though worn, is still very nice with nice details.
    Tim
    Attached Files

Comment

Reverse six-rivet Deschler
      Attached Files

Comment

Schreiber... (in the white hat)
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's another shot with him in a Canadian POW camp. Otto K. on his side (left in photo).
          Tim
          Attached Files

Comment

M-m-m-m-m, sweet
            congrat

Comment

Impressive

Comment

That's really a beauty, Tim!
                George

Comment

Tim,Beautiful cross and great pictures to go with it! Great thread.
                  Mike

Comment

Thanks guys!

Yes, a very nice item with a very unique history associated with it.

U-95 was on it's seventh active patrol when it was transferred to the Mediterranean in late November 1941. The boat was sunk only a couple of days after passing through the Straits of Gilbraltar by, of all things, a Dutch submarine (HNeTMS O 21). A very interesting tale in and of itself.

I wonder how many Dutch submarines can claim fame to sinking a German U-boat in WWII? 35 crew were killed and 12 were rescued uncluding KL Schreiber.

Schreiber was transferred to the same Canadian POW camp that was the basis for the old movie "The Mackenzie Break" that dealt with the secret operation to liberate Otto Kretchmar and return him to Germany; a failed operation btw.

Schreiber eventually made KorvettenKapitan and went on to serve in the Bundsmarine.
                    I forget if he eventually made admiral??

Anyway, a neat piece of history. Here's a link to the story surrounding the sinking:

Dutch Submarines: The Dutch O 21 versus the German U 95

Enjoy,
                    Tim

Comment

A couple more PICS!

A nice weighty 65.35 grams!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Last one.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great story Tim, thanks for posting it.Mike

Comment

Hello Tim

Now thats a really nice DKiG with an excellent provenance and story behind it. A piece with real history !

Thanks for showing it.

Regards
                            David

Comment

Hi Tim,

very nice worn DK !

Is it in a new Case or am I wrong ?

Ivan

Ivan Bombardieri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X