Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need opinions on this EK1 mm "26" BH Mayer

Hello guys !! ,

Once again i desperately need your opinions on this EK1 mm "26" BH Mayer that i just bought from a fellow member for Euro 175. Hope it compliments well with my cased Spange to the EK1, also by the same maker.

Ohh...im waiting for the case...i got this weeks detlevs LDO case..

2 questions to ask;-

i) How do you rate its condition?? Very good, good, fair, poor??
    My opinion good condition. Your opinon??

ii) Should i clean it??
    My opinon No, but the black spots i remember should be cleaned as it will become rust. Your opinion??

Really appreciate for any opinions given.

Thank You,
    Ibrahim,
    Singapore
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ibrahim ahmad; 12-19-2005, 06:46 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hello

Looks ok to me. I'd say it's in good condition overall.

As for cleaning it, I personally would do. I was told a couple of years ago by someone who really knows about metals, (yes, metals and not medals), that the black patina that can accumulate on items like these crosses will eventually corrode and irreparably damage the piece. Obviously some awards can't be cleaned because of the nature of their finish, but iron crosses can be. I was recommended to use Goddards silver dip which really brings them up. This tip is also seen in some the books dealing with the subject of iron crosses, including 'The Iron Cross A History 1813 - 1957' by Gordon Williamson, (pages 164 - 165), and 'Third Reich Militaria' by Robin Lumsden, (pages 59 - 60). Remember to rinse the silver dip off afterwards and thoroughly dry the cross with a hair dryer.

This, however is purely my own opinion and view. There are some who will say never clean them. At the end of the day, as the purchaser of the cross, you need to decide for yourself, but I hope this of use to you.

Regards
          David

Comment

Well ...

As far as the cross itself .... it's definitely a textbook 26

As far as cleaning it .... many on these forums would cringe at the thought. I have only cleaned 1 item I ever owned and that was a KVK 1st Class which developed some god awful greenish patina. Many here said don't do it .. but I did. Too me it made an improvement, to others not.

It's yours and you can do to it like you please, but personally, I'd leave this one alone.

There are some remnants of the silver plating on the frame edge that would be lost forever as well.

Comment

I would personally leave it as it is.It's a good looking cross.I too have a "26",it has a broken pin and the patina is about the same as yours.Darrell too advised me on cleaning in the past and i'm glad i've left my medals alone.I've learned to love aged medals.They are,after all,60+ years old....How they're meant to be...
              If you decide to clean it be careful and good luck.In fact,post a "before and after" result.

Comment

I just got my christmas gift & now it is married" with my EK1...
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello

A very nice set.

Regards
                  David

Comment

Last edited by Jim Baker; 01-02-2006, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X