EKII Antique Show Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EKII Antique Show Find

Found this two weeks ago at a local antique show. Guy had this for $5 and something my buddy wanted for $22.50, we asked him if he would take $25 for both, and he said he would just to get rid of "that" cross. I am glad there are idiots around yet! Marked "65" on ring, but no ribbon. It has a 1945 scratched into the top of it and I think it was period done, as it even has some rust on the scratch and how the numbers them selves are done. Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Terry Keller
    "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
    Rammstein

back
    Attached Files
    Terry Keller
    Rammstein

Comment

Peter

Comment

here is the MM
        The guy selling it had it in a small plastic bag with a big sticker over most of it, just showing the edges. Marked $5
        Attached Files
        Terry Keller
        Rammstein

Comment

scratches
          Attached Files
          Terry Keller
          Rammstein

Comment

Nice K&Q
            Mikael

Comment

Hello

Congratulation on an excellcent find and absolute bargin basement price !! It just shows that occasionally there are genuine bargins to be had.

Regards
              David

Comment

Hi All,
                Thanks for the comments!
                What blew my mind was his attitude towards and inanimate object. It just shows how small peoples minds are. I am surprised that one of the other antique dealers did not buy it, as most of them have $150 on any cross in their stores. Oh well, I got a nice cross for a little money because of it.
                Yours,
                Terry Keller
                Rammstein

Comment

Originally posted by Terry K.
                  Hi All,
                  Thanks for the comments!
                  What blew my mind was his attitude towards and inanimate object. It just shows how small peoples minds are. I am surprised that one of the other antique dealers did not buy it, as most of them have $150 on any cross in their stores. Oh well, I got a nice cross for a little money because of it.
                  Yours,
                  After you bought it, you should have said .... "Thanks ... it's a frowned upon sysmbol, but these can fetch up to 75-80 dollars in this condition"

Comment

Here is another great find........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-WW2-I...QQcmdZViewItem

The seller's description makes you just want to hit the buy it now tab

Edit
                    Well,it's gone now but here's the text:

Original WW2 Iron Cross, 2nd Class, Motorhead, German
                    This is an original WW2 Iron Cross 2nd Class, it is not a reproduction or a re-issue. It has its original ribbon and comes with an authentication certificate from Detlev Niemann, one of the worlds most revered experts in militaria. The Cross has a diameter of 44mm (approximately 1.75 inches). The ribbon is 76mm long (approximately 3 inches). Like many early issue Iron crosses the ring does not have a number stamp. The Cross has a three part construction, it is framed with silver, has silver beading and has a magnetic iron core. This is an excellent example of a genuine WW2 2nd Class Iron Cross. It is a relic of a fascinating but terrible era in modern history.
                    This Iron Cross is in excellent uncleaned condition. The black paint is fully intact on front and reverse. There is no damage to the Cross, just a few insignificant marks. The ring is slightly bent, I think deliberately to make it hang better. The ribbon is in fairly good condition with pinholes.
                    A brief History of the Iron Cross
                    The Iron Cross is indisputably the most historically rich and notorious German award. Its long tradition dates back to 1813, when King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia first instituted the order during the War of Liberation against Napoleon. The cross went on to be suspended from the uniforms of admirable German soldiers in the 1870 Franco-Prussian War, and again in 1914 for World War I. Through the sacrifice of the men who earned it, its humble but striking design became synonymous with old world German courage and triumph.
                    In the new world order where Germany was a pariah after World War I, few reminders of past conflicts could be a source of pride. Still, the old silver and black was reminiscent of gallant Prussian warriors, the great victories of the Bismarck era, and the brave soldiers of World War I; the cross has had an unquestionable aura since it was created. With the opening salvos of World War II, Hitler superimposed his chilling political imagery to this aura, evoking the glory of bygone days. With that act, the 1939 Iron Cross, now forever interlaced with the Third Reich, instantly became one of the most visually powerful and recognizable military awards of all time.
                    The myth surrounding the Iron Cross, has only expanded as tales are passed from elder to youth. Today the decoration is studied, collected, and treasured by young generations who travel through time on the shoulders of its history. Perhaps the most impressive legacy of the Iron Cross is that, by luring the young into the past, it continues to pay homage to the valor of the old warriors who lived and fought in that different time, and in that different world. As the last of those fighters dance into eternity, they entrust their memories to the contours of this silver and iron cross.
                    The official criteria for the award was a single act of bravery in the face of the enemy, or actions that were clearly above and beyond the call of duty.

Heer and SS personnel would receive the Cross for a successful action in which the soldier distinguished himself. For example, Platoon commander SS Obersturmfuhrer Eric Brorup of the 5th SS Panzer Division was decorated on December 1, 1942 for leading a reconnaissance forest raid in the Eastern front during which a fire fight ensued. His platoon inflicted enemy casualties and brought back six prisoners, two of them NCOs.

This class of the award was worn in three different methods
                    <DIR><DIR>From the second button of the tunic.
                    When in formal dress, the entire cross was worn mounted alone or as part of a medal bar.
                    For everyday wear, only the ribbon was worn from the second hole in the tunic button.
                    </DIR></DIR>
                    In 1957 the German government re-issued the Iron Cross without the offending imagery that the original Crosses bore.
                    Last edited by Neil B; 12-17-2005, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X