Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double marked EK 1 1939

Dear all,

This is something I've been curious about for some time now, so I better post a question. I have several "20" marked EK 1 in my collection. All of them are identical featuring the typical Zimmermann clues. One, however, is double marked "20" and "L/52" on the belly side of the pin. The "20" is stamped more in the center of the pin, the "L/52" is stamped in an incused box by the hinge. I also have an "L/52" marked piece with the hall mark by the catch; here the "L/52" is raised in an incused box. The latter does not show the Zimmermann features and has a coke bottle pin rather than the straight Zimmermann-type pin, and as described above even the hallmarks are different.

What is the history / chronology of this kind of stamping, and why / when did Zimmermann start using a second set of tools? If at all, perhaps they also bought some of their crosses?

Sorry, no pics.

Thanks and best regards,
    Al

L/52 & 20 Marked

Here's some pics of my double marked EK 1 as L/52 and 20 on the reverse of the Pin.
    Al
    Attached Files

Comment

reverse of pin

L/52 & 20
      Attached Files

Comment

Hallo Albert,

The non-standard Zimmermann sounds strange - personally I have not encountered a Zimmermann cross like you describe. Is there no way you can organise some images? I'll post them if you can't.

Regards
        Mike K
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Not a problem.

Albert,

The L /52 and the 20 markings as shown both belong to the Zimmerman firm. It is unusual to find a double marked EK I but not unheard of. I have had an L/52-20 marked example in my collection and also a L/55-100 marked screwback example. Wachtler & Lange used both the L/55 and 100 markings depending on whether the cross was for a government contract or for commercial sale.

Nice find.

Can you post a picture of the L/52 with the coke bottle shaped pin? I am curious about that one as is Mike K.

Best regards and good hunting!
          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks a lot, the double marked one raises no questions; it is exactly like the one posted. Unfortunately, I do not have the capacity to take pics, at least not myself. I will try to have pics taken and will send them to you Mike so you can post them for me.

Thanks,
            Al

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X