1957 DKiG, Late or Reproduction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1957 DKiG, Late or Reproduction?

I bought this late 57er DKiG and a 57er RK several months ago from an eBay seller before I was a Forum member. I have looked through the other DKiG on the Forum and there are some differences on this cross that have led me to wonder if this is a very late (post-2000?) S&L cross or a copy made by someone else.

The cross came in a black plastic case with two pieces of black foam with a slit in the bottom piece for the pin. Bottom tip of the cross has been squished. I paid about $50 for this, it seems like alot of work for someone to go through to make a bargain priced copy. I will post the RK in a separate thread later today. Comments, opinions?

-Jordan
    Attached Files

Reverse of cross, unusual position of rivets?
    Attached Files

Comment

Side view of cross showing part of the ring that is raised. The ring has not been super-glued like some other reproductions but is riveted to the round plate with four rivets aligned with the arms of the EK.
      Attached Files

Comment

Closeup of the center cross: the paint is coming off even though I have only handled it a few times, the leaf detail is not very good, and the beading along the arms near the center is not clear.
        Attached Files

Comment

Side view of the pin and hinge, looks like a typical late S&L pin to me.
          Attached Files

Comment

Last photo: the cross in the case. I can't even begin to describe the disappointing feeling I got when I opened the package at the post office and this plastic box fell out...
            Attached Files

Comment

Jordan
              I am sorry but i think just as you suggest that it is a reproduction.

The matt paint on the cross.
              The round depression at the upper part of the wreath.
              The bad quality of the backplate.

I paid about $50 for this, it seems like alot of work for someone to go through to make a bargain priced copy
              Latvia, China and Pakistan are places that can produce anything for you at a low cost. The salary/wage is very low in these countries.

Cheers.
              Peter
              Last edited by Peter Wiking; 11-26-2005, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Here are a couple other things, which I recieved free with a purchase from someone else a while ago. I am pretty sure they are good 1957 DKiG/DKiS centers. The detail is much better on these centers than Marlies DKiG. The EK looks like it has the high acorns, which means it is a later piece. Am I correct? The EK is 27mm high and the KVK 28mm high.

My camera has an aversion to anything shiny but the detail on these is lightyears above the fake cross.

-Jordan
                Attached Files

Comment

For a comparison, a mid-production cross belonging to Franz-Georg Reschke, U-Boat Skipper.

As far as 'Genuine' is concerned you've got to be careful and lucky, I managed both as this was sold to me by Gordon Williamson.
                  Attached Files

Comment

reverse
                    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice cross!!! Even better to have it attributed to someone! It makes mine look like garbage in comparison. I'm almost embarassed I posted it and the RK.

At least others know to stay away from eBay seller "Marlies1944" higher-end 57 items, probably the rest of the items too. I saw an auction for a Luftwaffe Ground Combat badge by this seller a while ago that made me cringe!

I'm saving for a good cross....

-Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by Tribley
                        Last photo: the cross in the case. I can't even begin to describe the disappointing feeling I got when I opened the package at the post office and this plastic box fell out...
                        Well, the plastic case look like an authentic 1957 case for this award so don't be too quick in getting rid of this part of the package as in my opinion the case at least is genuine and authentic.

Regards ...

Comment

Originally posted by Tribley
                          Very nice cross!!! Even better to have it attributed to someone! It makes mine look like garbage in comparison. I'm almost embarassed I posted it and the RK.
                          -Jordan
                          Its patience really, you'll get yours, it took me 6 months to get that 57 and once I saw it a further 3 months to save and negotiate with my wife

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X