EK Retailer Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK Retailer Marks

Over the years I have had a few cases/packets which were named to firms which were retailers rather than manufacturers, but heres something else that can be encountered - though rarely.

The Cross is a Godet L/50 marked screwback EK1, the disc has been marked, in raised letters, for the well known Berlin retailer Sedlatzek.

Interesting Gordon. The cross looks to be the Schinkle design. Is that correct? If so, are all Godet crosses Schnkle designed?

Cheers,

Comment

No, its not a Schinkel, just a standard EK1, but it is vaulted which skews the shape somewhat.

Comment

Question ?

Could this be a WW1 back plate on a WW2 cross ?
        (just a thought... I dont know much about EK1's)

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Chris,
          No its a standard WW2 EK screwback backplate. In fact its not the first of these with thios specific retailer I've seen, the other though wasn't a Godet so I am assuming that Sadlatzek bought in the EKs from varuious manufacturers and put their own screwplate on them

Comment

Here's an L/52, same cross, different screwback and hallmark (barely).
            Attached Files

Comment

...I like the beading on these.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello Gorden,

That cross you have the L/50 screw back is one hell of a cross, but i can see you have not cleaned it, what would it look like if you cleaned it up, i have a L/54, in my opinion a super nice one in the LDO case same condition.
                Just like to know the reason you haven't cleaned it up.

lee

Comment

Hi Gordon,
                  to me it seems Sedlatzek had thier own disc's made, cause it's definately not stamped, not with those raised letters.

Comment

So.... The rule of thumb still stands?

So the rule of thumb still stands that the only screwback device that should be stamped by the manufacturor is L58 Souval?

Where would this retailer get personalized screwback devices? Godet? Godet stamps their screwback devices but only with a retailer's name?

Ah, the twists and turns these little pieces of Iron and silver lead you.....

Dave

Comment

There were firms that made nothing but pin/hinge fittings ( ads for these firms can be found in trade journals of the time such as Schwert & Spaten etc). I don't doubt such firms will also have made screwback fitments for supply to medal manufacturers too so it would be no problem for Sedlatzek to commission a stock of screwplates with their own logo impressed into them and simply add these to screwbacks they had bought in from various manufacturers.
                      The lettering is impressed from the rear and is of even depth so with the surface being curved it is extremely unlikely that it could have been added with a hand stamp by Sedlatzek but must have been impressed during the process of stamping out the blank disc.

Yes, the Souval L58 marked discs are still the only ones known to have been maker as opposed to retailer marked.

I'm sure Rick L with his passion for ribbon bars will have encountered ribon clasps with Sedlatzeks name, I have seen the name on small buttonhole fittings too. They were a very well known firm.

Lee, as for cleaning, the piece isn't my property yet though I am trying to persuade the owner to sell it to me. I will consider the issue of cleaning if I get it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X