What Created This Shadow ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Created This Shadow ?

This is a nice and early 1957 Deumer that belongs to Tribley at our forum.
    I wonder what could have created that shadow on the cross ? Something has been directed to the surface of this cross, and the hinge, needle and catch have blocked it out.

Thanks.
    Peter
    Attached Files

That is not a shadow, but acid corrosion to the silver plated finish. The flux, used in soldering the hinge block and catch, is nothing but an acid solution with grease. The acid etches the items to be soldiered making a better connection. Apparantly, the person doing the soldering, or cleaning, just wiped up the flux residue and did not de-grease the badge, prior to plating. The left over acid, from the flux, just ate away the silver plate.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Thanks Bob.
      Look again. One can read the shape of the catch and needle in the "shadow". It is just as if something was shining on it or was sprayed.

Cheers.
      Peter

Comment

Dunno really, but it looks like the silver backing was sprayed on at an angle and the hinge, pin and clasp got in the way preventing the spray hitting the rear of the cross in a uniform manner...

Regards ...

Comment

Propably lot of crosses where on the table and all got sprayed that "frost" on them and this particular cross was the furthest down the line and didn't get all the frost paint properly on it.
          Just Like hagwalther said.

L

Comment

Looks to me that a lacquer clear coat used to seal the silver finish was sprayed as mentioned above.

With lacquer being clear, the areas blocked by the pin and catch would be hard to see until the exposed silver eventually tarnished much later.

Tony
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by hagwalther
              Dunno really, but it looks like the silver backing was sprayed on at an angle and the hinge, pin and clasp got in the way preventing the spray hitting the rear of the cross in a uniform manner...

Regards ...
              My thoughts exactly.

Comment

I just noticed this thread, and I am pretty sure Tony is right on this one!

There does appear to be a clear coat on the back of the cross and the black tarnish is coming through the clear layer. I took another photo of the cross which shows the side of the cross, opposite the direction of spraying, and the edges of the pin, cross, hinge and catch all have dark spots where the clear coat is lacking. The other side of the cross does not have a single spot like this.

-Jordan
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys.

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X