RK -- Q&K actually worn example

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KC

A delicious piece!!! I like the worn crosses much better than the mint ones.

Comment

So do I, Ludwig. A worn medal vs a mint example is like a REMF vs a front line soldier. This cross did not spend the war luxuriating in a cushy velvet and silk lined box.

But seriously, not only does some wear make the piece more intriguing as a historic artifact, but natural wear is one more element that makes it harder to copy.

Personally, I don't like the glitzy look of the frosting. The subdued tones of a light to moderately worn cross better suit its symbolic purpose, IMHO.

Comment

Ofcourse give me a Juncker any day and a super close second a S&L ...frosting, no frosting....as long as there aren't any 'flaws'! But, K&Q just dont have the sharpness or symmetry of the other crosses! Example: on the lower arm looking straight on the r/side flange is wider....then there is 26+/- ridges on the left and 30+/- on the right. I imagine the company was rushed in the mid to latter part of the war and didn't pay as 'close' attention to detail in the die making as it did in the finishing.

Hello, John j.

I am on the verge of buying a nights cross, any nights cross who ever made it, just as long as some german soldier had it around their neck during the second world war and it was given to them for bravery.

I am not loaded with money, so i will have to opted for a lowly RK by the firm of K&Q they arn't so good at making these awards so there cheaper not worth so much they got no quality, It might have some flaws in it but, for a few Thousand pounds which is'chickenfeed'for some forum members, who cares it's still a nights cross init.

lee.

Comment

Go for a Klein & Quenzer, they are extremely well finished pieces. All the fuss about "lack of symmetry" well, its like complaining that Pamela Anderson's surgeon overinflated her left breast by .5mm Its an entirely different story if you've got one in your hands...the K&Q Cross I mean.

Comment

Dave,
            That's the best analogy I've ever heard!
            Talk about putting things into perspective!

Comment

Question & Observation

Another nice feature of the Klein & Quenzer-- the doughnut ring is distinctive and large enough that RKs made by this firm can sometimes be positively identified in photos of recipients. Its interesting to see who got them, and when.

Anyone care to share an opinion about K&Q RKs in which the four outer corners of the swaz don't meet the beaded inner rim of the frame? I saw one at the Max show where the swaz was slightly smaller than the example posted above. There was a slight gap between the swaz arms and the inner frame. I was perplexed.

Dave

Comment

DaveK, if the cross was "right" and the gap being the only oddity I would think that the technition who "finished" the cross (by hand) possibly got carried away with the filing of the inner corners.
                John
                Regards,
                Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 14 users online. 0 members and 14 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X