Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schinkel "B" type - Opinions!

Hi Everyone

Could someone tell me if this is good or bad? I just won this on a internet auction and know that these are faked. Some of the giveaways seems to be the strange yeardates. Haven't got a picture of the back but jugdeing from the obverse - what do you think? When I pic up the cross - what shall I look for on the reverse?

All the best Thomas
    Attached Files

Hi Thomas

I'm not keen on this one I'm afraid.... although the Schinkel B type area became a lot 'greyer' when Detlev sold one WITHOUT the round three in the date.

Here is the thread.. detlev nieman Iron cross 2nd class 1939 [910] - you have to keep reading as there is a lot of chat about 'storage conditions' on the first page.... but it gets going later.

I can confirm yours is not like the one Detlev sold with the standard three, and nor (obviously) is it the more typical B type with the dimpled core and round three.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is this is not a good one.

Marshall

Comment

Hi Marshall

Thanks for your sharing your knowlegde!

Others?

Cheers Thomas

Comment

Thomas

At first look, the image you posted appears to show serif balls on the bottom of the dates, but now that I've had a chance to brighten up the image you posted, it seems they may not after all, which means it is possibly one of the type Niemann sold & Frank H thinks are 60's fakes..

Can you confirm whether your date has ... balls.... or not?

... or post a better scan - less ribbon, more cross!

Marshall

Comment

I posted one like this awhile back (and also in the fake crosses forum) and got a resounding thumbs-down on it....

Hank
          Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
          ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Hello Hank and Marshall

Just wanted to let you know how glad I am for you help. Because I was suspicious and knew what to look for I went looking at the Cross in question.

When handeling it there was no doubt in my mind that this was a clear cut fake. The beading was all wrong, thin ironcore that had plenty of free space to roam around, dates looking very strange, low relief, no signs of frosting or mirroreffect on rims, beading was heavily flawed, attachment ring (the smaller one) was very large and unattached on one side - could go on and on! Just not the quality to expect from the most coveted award in the TR.

I managed to get out of the deal in a friendly manner and I'm now more knowlegdeable than before. I have a very relaxed feeling that I never have to fear that kind of crosses again. Its like having been in combat and forced a major blow to the enemy a gotten out without losses - thanks my brothers in arms

Cheers Thomas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X