RK Ribbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK Ribbon

Hello all, Just looking for some opinions on this RK Ribbon. Here are some scans, also some close ups. Ribbon is 48mm wide and does not glow under uv. I did a search under "Knight's Cross Ribbon" and came upon some very interresting articles/ posts about RK ribbons, but nothing that matched this one specifically, I know that probably doesn't bode well for the ribbon but in any event, I think that the apparent sides stitching will tell the tale here. By side stitching I mean the black stitching on either side that seems to be different from the rest of the weave...

I count 24 white

Any opinions good or bad welcomed!

Thanks,

-Shane
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Airborne Nut; 11-15-2005, 10:12 PM.

Closer...
    Attached Files

Comment

Closer this time it is not folded over itself... Here you should really be able to see the stitching...
      Attached Files

Comment

I am sorry but that is not a wartime ribbon.

Cheers.
        Peter

Comment

Hello Shane

I have a piece that more or less exactly matches yours. I got mine as a modern manufactured replacement ribbon around 1994. Under UV light it doesn't glow, and the stiching looks the same.

Sorry, but your piece isn't a wartime issue / made piece.

Regards
          David

Comment

dear david and peter....

what are the characteristics that make this ribbon a fake?

thanks,

stefan

Comment

Hello Stefan

I consider it a post 1945 ribbon based on it's measurements, the side edgings and the fact that the outer edge of the black part is flat. On the wartime manufactured ribbons the very outer edges have a pronounced 'hump', for lack of a better expresion. The edge isn't flat but goes up and down quite visibly - almost like looking at hills in the distance.

Finally, and this may just be me being pedantic, but I didn't say it was a fake, just that it wasn't a wartime ribbon. To me a fake is an item made to deliberately deceive, and, or, sold as the real thing when the seller knows otherwise. A reproduction is an item made as a replacement for a part of, or the whole, of an item and sold as such. Obviously this is just my opinion and way of looking at things, and I'm sure that others will have their own views.

I hope this is of use.

Regards
              David

Comment

Originally posted by StefanK.
                dear david and peter....

what are the characteristics that make this ribbon a fake?

thanks,

stefan
                This part on the posted ribbon is all wrong.

Cheers.
                Peter
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Peter and David, that is exactly as I thought as well. The width, lack of hills or ribbing on the edges and the funny change of shape to the black edges were all indicators to me. Just wanted to be sure. It came on a Souval RK with a really bad set of Oaks so I wanted to be sure.

Thanks Guys!

-Shane

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X