Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 Opinions

Hello,
    i want to post these 2 "strange" Ek2 to you, maybe you can tell me if these pieces are maybe common, not so common or just crap.

the one to the left is stamped 55 in the ring, it runs completely out of shape, the outer lines dont follow the inner lines. both parts of the die are not set properly over each other. it has a tiny swastika compared to other ek2. it has a magnetic core.

the right one seems to be made of a very light material, its about 15 grams, the core is not magnetic but the cross is also made standart of 3 parts. when you look at the closeup of the 1813 you will notice its struck wrong, looks like the stamp was moved while striking doing a double line. the silver finish seems to be heavy plated over the ground material.

what do you think about these crosses, any special stories to tell?

greetings
    michael

picture didnt show.. another try.

Comment

?
      Attached Files

Comment

I wouldn't be happy with them, the frames are certainly out of shape as you say, and the numbers look all wrong.

Comment

I´m not an expert...

but both crosses looks like fakes to me. I started just 5 months ago but seeing my growing pics data base i can´t find a single "real" ekii even seemed to the ones posted here. As the thread starter says a lot of details looks wrong (date, swas, arms).

All the best,
          Joao Alberto.

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily write off a piece because it exhibited sloppy workmanship.
            I have a "55" marked EK 2, and while I can't say for sure that it matches the example above, it does have some uneveness on the top rim. (The rest of the rim is okay.)

And speaking of sloppy, check out the rim on this "113" EK 2.

George
            George

Comment

I agree

I have to agree with George: you cant just go by the quality, sometimes the real thing looks faker than fake. Contrary to the popular opinion about legendary German workmanship, I have seen this many times: just recently I bought a medal bar with 10 and 15 year NSDAP crosses, which I would almost definitely consider a fake if I saw it on Ebay - if it wasnt for the fact that I know the guy was in the NSDAP and I have seen pictures of him wearing this medal bar!!!

Comment

I don't judge "GOOD OR BAD" from pics alone, much rather have the item in my hand. so I will not comment . You have to remember RK's Ek I's and EK 2's were from 3 seperate pieces. The iron core was sandwiched between 2 silvered rims along with solder strips, after all 3 pieces were joined the edges were then buffed by hand on a buffing wheel to get rid of the excess solder. If the person doing the buffing applied a bit too much pressure at any time it would result in the rims being uneven.

Comment

Hello,
                  thank you all for your input about this topic. the main reason i aksed was i wanted to know if someone here got a cross 2nd class wich is non magnetic like the one i showed with the miss-struck 1813. the maker 55 im sure is original, the non magnetic one should be also - i just didnt find any similar pieces to compare yet.

seasons greetings,
                  michael

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X