SWORDS - pre or post war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SWORDS - pre or post war?

I was playing with my camera during weekend and took some shots of my '57 swords to the RK. When I saw the picture on the screen I could not belive that I have been missing it for a half a year now!!

Well, let's go to the point:

Once I purchased a nice set of the '57 type cased KC and the swords to it.
    Attached Files

The originality of the cross itself leaves no doubts...
    Attached Files

Comment

on the back there is a nice '800' stamp. Note that it is specific design the middle '0' is thinner as the last one.
      Attached Files

Comment

Now the swords... from the very first view they look like a nice '57 pattern - crossguards are soldered to the blades and the loop doesn't appear when front looking.
        Attached Files

Comment

Reverse is a typical '57 construction - no details on the swords at all - they are flat. The award is nicely double marked '925' what may suggest that the swords were made separately and therefore stamped as well as the oaks - hence the double hallmark. Nothing strange at all...
          Attached Files

Comment

If we now take a closer look at the picture above we can notice an another mark a lovely '800' on the inner side of the loop. My swords have THREE stamps on them!

This is what I asked You for in the third post - to note the specific '800' pattern stamped on the cross. We can see EXACTLY same pattern used on the swords loop. The middle '0' is thinner as the last one and, slightly worn and blurry upper part of '8' matches exactly to the pattern mentioned before.

My suggestion is - the '800' stamped loops were typical for the WWII RK awards. This particular stamp has its thin and detailed features so characteristic for the WWII productions. Is it possible then that the swords presented were made in a war time?

Comment

Some other views of the swords... LEFT SIDE
              Attached Files

Comment

Right Side
                Attached Files

Comment

zoomed front view
                  Attached Files

Comment

zoomed side view
                    Attached Files

Comment

zommed side view (enhanced)
                      Attached Files

Comment

negative image effect applied - the stamp is clearly visible (even the '8' contures)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi ,Their is a possibility that the loop itself may be from wartime leftover stock but i doubt it as the 1957 loops are usually shorter than the WW2 ones and you can get 1957 RK,s with 800 stamped loops . As for the swords , oaks they are late 1957 production for the collectors market .

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Broadhurst
                            Hi ,Their is a possibility that the loop itself may be from wartime leftover stock , but you can get 1957 RK,s with 800 stamped loops . As for the swords , oaks they are late 1957 production for the collectors market .
                            My set is nicely worn and comes from one person... The only thing I know is that the swords were not bought together with the cross and their origin is an ENIGMA to me... Nevertheless they are original - of that I am sure.

Comment

Hi Tomasz ,I have asked for opinions of te 925 marked 1957,s on another forum and Gordon Williamson gave his opinion on these :http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2843

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X