Lets Discuss RK ribbons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Allan Pilch
    Harry, it might be a good idea to show by way of diagram what you mean by the number of 'stitches' on the white band.

What about the stitches on the red and black bands?

Allan
    Thanks Allan,

for the benefit of all, the stitch count is this....
    A simple count to act as a reference so one ribbon can be compared to another. I have not counted any black or red bands. Would it be safe to assume that a ribbon of loose weave would have fewer stitches accross its overall width compared to a ribbon of the same width but of a tighter weave?
    Last edited by Harry; 07-10-2007, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Well done Harry, I'll get counting. I'll also count the red and black bands as a matter of interest.

Allan
      Looking for information on RKT KARL HUBER
      Stoßtruppführer AufKlAbt 20 (mot.)

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'

Comment

"it be safe to assume that a ribbon of loose weave would have fewer stitches accross its overall width compared to a ribbon of the same width but of a tighter weave?"

That's one assumption. Another could be that the threads themselves are of slightly different widths, thus a different number of weaves for the same band size spec.<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
        George

Comment

Should we not post a few reproductions?
          First is a couple of reproductions i have in my collection. The outer edges lacks the humps ^^^^^

Peter
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is another postwar ribbon. The weave is very loose with large spaces between the threads.

Peter
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the input Peter! As you can see, a thread count of 25 (left) and 18(right) repectively in the white band in your first picture...

Comment

Harry, I looked at 10 full length ribbons. Each being the earlier cotton, thick feeling 'baum' type.

Here's the breakdown:

9 @ 45mm with 25 stitches
                1 @ 46mm with 30 stitches
                Regards,
                Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave!
                  The 25s and the 30s especially I think are the ultimate wartime ribbons. But there are wartime ribbons with a lower stitch count viz. 23 and 24 (at least on ribbons obtained with wartime crosses!).

Comment

Harry, of the lower stitch count would these be the 'silky' or 'softer' feeling type?
                    Regards,
                    Dave

Comment

Dave,
                      It is difficult to tell. In my view, the mint, unused, unfolded ribbons are as stiff as a board, even in the lower stitch counts. But the used, worn ribbons can be quite soft regardless of weave. I have 23s, 24s and 25s and one 30. The 23 does feel a bit 'silkier', the 30 feels the stiffest of all!

Comment

Should we be including the 40mm wearing ribbon in this discussion?
                        R

Comment

Roy, I thought about it!
                          But because they are rare, we are unlikely to get a good sample size. I have 80cms of a 40mm RK ribbon I got from Kai Winkler with a cross, but no one else has come up with another for me to compare it with

For the record, this 40mm ribbon has 19 stitches per white stripe. Weave pattern and density identical to its wider counterpart... Anyone elso out there with a 40mm ribbon??
                          Last edited by Harry; 10-16-2005, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Harry, rare yes but I think a couple of folks (here) have examples. In the last 3 years I sold 2 lengths to members but I can't recall whom.

The 40mm ribbon indeed is the thick, heavy early type of weave and material.
                            Regards,
                            Dave

Comment

Yes Dave, very thick indeed.

Here is a close shot of my 40mm ribbon. Now if we could only find out who else has some and get 'em counting!
                              Last edited by Harry; 07-10-2007, 06:59 AM.

Comment

From my awarded Monte Cassino grouping. 45mm with a 25 count:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X