Embroidered DKiG in Khaki/AFRIKA...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embroidered DKiG in Khaki/AFRIKA...

Unless I missed something, has anything been said about the embroidered DKiG in khaki shown in Gordon's latest book (Iron Cross of 1939) on page 212?

Isn't this thing supposed to be rarer then hen's teeth or non-existant?

I thought this was just the thing you guys got all fired up about!!

The only thing I have been able to observe about it is that the weave (of the white cloth) runs diagonal instead of the more common horizontal.

Ive already run on at the mouth about how much I love this book and how highly I regard Gordon's expertise on a different thread, so this isnt a "challenge" to Gordon or his book, but perhaps this is worth discussing.

Dave

Nichts?

Nada huh? Man, it must by the holiday spirit... None of you guys are feeling argumentative...

Alright, I'll let the sleeping dog lay....

Dave

Comment

Well, okay....

As near as I can tell from the picture the date numbers look consistent with those on good pieces.
      Who says they're non-existent?

George
      George

Comment

A couple of sources...

A couple of sources, including this website (and I think The Iron Time)..

A khaki variant is supposed to have existed for the Afrikakorps but to our knowledge there are no contemporary photos illustrating that varietie.
        Maybe "rarer then a hen's tooth" is better then non-existant.

Dave

Comment

I find it very interesting. My copy of Gordons book is on loan to another member, now I am anticipating its return soon to view the photo.

Would these also have been available "retail" to those who earned it? I hate to say "jeweler" but its equivalent in cloth items.
          Greg

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

I stand corrected...

I went back and took a look at several serval sources. Both the IRON TIME and DETLEVs book, both mention that this cross can exist in khaki.

Apparently both white and khaki are private purchase and extremely rare (white even more then Khaki). Seeing as how the ring is the only thing stamped and could be transferred from a common embroidered DKiG, I'm not sure how you could verify the originality of the piece without a provenance.

Anybody have pictures of either a white or khaki being worn?

Thanks,
            Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X