Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Merit Cross - what to look for.

Hi everyone,

A few years ago I began collecting edged weapons, but had to take an extended break from collecting for health reasons (and no employment).

Anyway, recently I came across a war merit cross on Ebay (Australia). The current bid (AUD $222.50) is almost 4 times the price of what I can find on reputable US sites, so it's a no brainer not to waste my money on it.

Which brings me to the questions:
    • Are war merit crosses widely faked?
    • If so, what should I look out for?
    I'm of the opinion that everything should be considered fake until it can be proven to be legitimate.

Cheers,
    DC

Your approach should be to study the originals. There are only a limited maker of the 1. Class, so it is fairly straight forward to determine an original. Learning of "Waht is a fkae" is a waste of time since the topic constantly changes. KVKs 1. and 2. Class are not really faked in a big style.
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Read the Pinned thread on the floch fake, he faked a lot of kvk's. Also post pictures here for evaluation on anything you are interested in before buying.

Comment

Buy this book, it helps

Andy wmc.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
          Your approach should be to study the originals. There are only a limited maker of the 1. Class, so it is fairly straight forward to determine an original. Learning of "Waht is a fkae" is a waste of time since the topic constantly changes. KVKs 1. and 2. Class are not really faked in a big style.
          Thanks for the response. Yeah, this is the approach I took when I first started collecting edged weapons, and in particular when I was considering the purchase of an SA dagger (which I didn't buy). I also took a lot of notes from online forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy smith View Post
            Welcome to the forum. Read the Pinned thread on the floch fake, he faked a lot of kvk's. Also post pictures here for evaluation on anything you are interested in before buying.
            Thanks, and will do.

Weirdly, I used to have an account on WA, but I think it was purged for some reason (I was more active on other forums at that time as well).

Comment

Originally posted by AndyC View Post
              Buy this book, it helps

Andy wmc.jpg
              Brilliant - I will definitely add that book to my collection. Thanks. :-)

Edit:

I see that one of the authors - Dietrich Maerz - is in this very thread. :-)

Last edited by DC7; 08-20-2020, 09:33 PM. Reason: Edited: Author recognition

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X