• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron cross

Real or fake????
    I ask because I dont have a clue.

Thanks
    Steve

Last edited by Dietrich Maerz; 08-31-2005, 07:27 AM. Reason: Corrected thread title

It looks probably good from these pics, but VERY hard to tell...by the hump on the top for the attachment ring, could be a W&L. Any chance of better pictures?

Hank
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Steve, My thoughts are it's bad.....I believe the loop on top of the medal is wrong.......Should be looping through the very top of the medal instead of sitting on top of it.....Hope this makes sense.......Bodes

Comment

Originally posted by bodes
        Steve, My thoughts are it's bad.....I believe the loop on top of the medal is wrong.......Should be looping through the very top of the medal instead of sitting on top of it.....Hope this makes sense.......Bodes
        Hi,

Bodes, I have to disagree with that. A lot of early (especially pre-Gablonzer method) EK2s had this lug and it's normally a good sign (although I'm sure now also found on fakes).

Steve, the cross looks OK from what I can see but a word of advice - if you don't have a clue you should be researching for yourself first, not relying on a dealer or even on the forum. It's a sure way to get burnt otherwise.

Regards
        Mike K

PS: Steve, I just picked up from the badges forum that you aren't a collector as such. Don't take my advice harshly!
        Last edited by Mike Kenny; 08-30-2005, 07:43 PM.
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Mike, No arguments here as iron crosses are not my forte.....It was just one of the things I was always taught to look out for.....One of the more frustrating aspects of this hobby......When certain rules are learned, there always seems to be an exception....Bodes

Comment

Cross looks good.I agree with Mike,The hump is far from being the exception( I cant recall a repro with the hump)

Iron crosses marked 100 (Rudol Wachtler & lang in Mittwaida) and L/12 Juncker have the hump.
            The hump can also be seen on KO marked Imperial EK2s.
            Im quite sure some other makers uses the hump.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.

Is this what you mean by the hump? the bit at the top where the ring attaches to the cross???
              If so it looks like it is part of the cross rather than a solder or weld in real life, if you understand what I mean.

Steve

Comment

It is certainly part of the frame and not odd at all.

Comment

It's truly amazing how times have changed.....When I started collecting seriously in the 80's, some fellow collectors I know would've looked with suspicion at an iron cross like this.....Remember that was also the time when people said not to buy RZM marked items minus the double ring or lacking the slash in the Z......These rules have since been proved wrong...... Bodes

Comment

Hello,
                    as already said it looks like a W&L.
                    It has 2 typical signs of it: Date in shape and position and the hump.
                    So I would say it is a good W&L.

Best Franki

Comment

HI Bodes,

I think we are a bit better educated now.
                      I remember the single RZM circle and slash issues.I always thought that was wrong(there are enough nice originals out there with a single circle) and i believe Robin Lumsden,s book from the late 70,s (Detecting the Fakes) was one of the main reasons people believed that.Robin has since on this forum conceded that it was error stating that and he based that statement on what he thought at the time.
                      That aside,the Standards pertaining to the RZM in the official regulations state that the acceptible and authorised version of the RZM mark are single or double circle,Z with or with out a slash.

Comment

Keifer, I went on to deduce the same thing when I obtained an original political leaders gorget from a veteran......The RZM is minus the slash in the Z.......And not long after that picked up a nice HJ nickel buckle with the single circle......Bodes

Comment

Hi Bodes,

I too have nice HJ single circle rzm marked buckle.Mine is Nickel plated Steel by steinhauer and luck.

There was a book available some years back that was dedicated to RZM marks,ill try and source the name and find out if its still available(IM going off memory but i think it was "Guide to the RZM".It came out some years after Robins book but certainly wasnt as well known.The author used to frequent GDC.That book also contained the official regulations and and standards for the RZM mark.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X