Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vonS-

IMHO, the talent and the materials WERE present
    to successfully complete a project like this "im felde".
    perhaps not in the forward lines, but the support areas,
    where in 1942 or later it was make do or don't have.

and while it certainly makes sense to maintain a level
    of skepticism, there is a point where making an assumption
    based on what YOU know to be credible is a reasonable option.

i have found this to be a most interesting thread.
    thank you.

joe

Comment

I'm with Joe. You can call me a sucker if you like, but as things stand now I don't have any problems with this DK or with the story behind it.
      George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
        I'm with Joe. You can call me a sucker if you like, but as things stand now I don't have any problems with this DK or with the story behind it.
        Well, I guess I'm a sucker too. I love these unusual pieces with this back ground information. That's the history angle I personally enjoy. Every piece has a story; a representation of brave actions by individuals in extreme situations.

But in reality this piece will CONSTANTLY have to be defended where known examples will never have that drama. That's the nature of our hobby. Some of us would never have it because of its make up/construction. Others will love it because of the "One of a kind" aspect.

Great thread to start my morning!

Comment

Yes, the massive fakery and deception in this hobby has jaded people to anything unusual. The fact is, this piece exists, does not match known manufactured varieties and has (IMO) a very plausible provenance. The thing with a piece like this is that it is impossible to critique. Suppositions about how it is made, the quality, whether a unit might have made this in the field etc are useless because they have no basis of comparison...this is a one of a kind item and "is what it is". If I owned this item, I would press the "I believe button" knowing full well that some will question it. I have a few strange pieces like this in my collection too. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Hi Chuck,

Neat DK you have there! I, too, like it as well as the story. It can be very surprising just what can be produced in the field w/ the right tools. Afterall german craftmanship is outstanding as a rule.

Erickn

Comment

any chance of even closer photos? I find this thread fascinating and would love to see more juicy pics!
              regards
              jon

Comment

Actually, this thread is a good example of provenance in action. If one saw this for sale "as is" on Ebay, it would be discounted as fake. With a truly convincing provenance, however, it becomes very special. Textbook pieces require no provenance...they are what they are, and stand on their own merits. Judging the validity of provenance is kind of an art form. There is a fine line between a very sophisticated collection that includes a few pieces like this, and one filled w/ gun show fantasy items that had a good story attached.

Comment

wow...! I need some water...!! God you are a lucky fella..!! DAS REICH! GERMAN CROSS!!!

I'm very happy you have that piece with you ! Please take CARE of it... !

Comment

and it all comes down to having a basis for making a
                    decision. in medicine, you get taught the "facts" in medical
                    school and residency. and then you get to the real
                    world, which is like an on-going practice lab.

some knowledge
                    some detective work.
                    some deduction.
                    some skepticism.
                    some humor.

these unusual pieces are one of the reasons i love this hobby.
                    people are variations on a common theme. the things they do
                    are also variations with some spectacular and not-so-spectacular
                    manifestations.

this is one of the nice ones, von S!

regards,
                    joe

Comment

Lots of work!

Thanks again for everyone's comments. I appreciate the support very much.

To Andy and Joe: I agree with your last posts completely. As far as standing upon their own merits, I believe you need a good catalyst, such as the Detlev Niemann sale, as well as another bonified and pictured example of something similar before attempting to "make public" such an obscure and unusual item. That is why I waited for the proper moment to showcase this example. If I had not I am certain that it would have been dismissed as pure fantasy.

It took a number of months for me to gain the confidence of the prior owner, to share with me all the disclosed information in order to learn the true provenance of this piece. He is a VERY private person, and because of what the decoration is, and what it "represents" to the majority of the population at large, as well as who Weiss was and what many consider of the SS, he was extremely cautious about any disclosure, and this was primarily for his own reputations sake!

I am quick to say that I do consider myself very lucky to own such a piece!

And Jon, I will try to format some larger pictures.

Chuck

Comment

New photographs

Hopefully this will show the award in a bit larger format. It's the best I can do with my camera.

Chuck
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by vonStubben; 12-26-2008, 03:19 PM. Reason: resubmitting photographs

Comment

Back
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by vonStubben; 02-23-2009, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I think it is wonderful and an item to be proud of. You are very lucky fellow.
                            Best Regards,
                            Dick

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
                              With the post made by Tinmantis of the field made DKiG, just sold by Detlev Niemann (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/foru...d.php?t=116449), I felt it opened the door for an additional thread on another unusual, and unique, field made example.
                              I am re-visiting this old thread because of some missing links. The link attached above is no longer operating so I am including a photograph of the grouping of items sold by Detlev Nieman which includes a crudely made DKiG and the reason for posting mine.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vonstubben View Post
                                i am re-visiting this old thread because of some missing links. The link attached above is no longer operating so i am including a photograph of the grouping of items sold by detlev nieman which includes a crudely made dkig and the reason for posting mine.

front
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X