"Das Reich" field made DKiG with provenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Das Reich" field made DKiG with provenance

With the post made by Tinmantis of the field made DKiG, just sold by Detlev Niemann (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/foru...d.php?t=116449), I felt it opened the door for an additional thread on another unusual, and unique, field made example.

I have already shared the story and pictures of this amazing piece with a number of our forum members, and recognized authorities on such items, as well as having shared it with some collectors whom I know privately. I am happy to say that it has been well received by almost all of those who have seen it.

I received the below "field made" DKiG from a U.S. Army veteran, who served in Germany from 1951 through 1953. During that time period he met and became very close friends with former Waffen-SS, RKT, Obersturmbannfuehrer Hans Weiss, of the "Das Reich" Division, spending much of his off duty time with Weiss, having breakfast (Spiegeleier) and attending church with him and his family every Sunday morning.

By close friends, I mean just that. The two of them shared a friendship which lasted up until Hans Weiss's death in 1978. Last seeing one another in 1975, when the U.S. veteran and his wife last visited Weiss, at his home in Neu Ulm, Germany.

In 1953, just prior to this veterans leaving Germany to return to the states, Hans Weiss gifted to him this DKiG saying that he had "worn it during the war". Not knowing how this decoration was normally presented, he asked Weiss if Hitler had given it to him, Weiss smiled and said, "No, the boys made it for me".

I know that some will "giggle" at reading this, but so help me it's the truth! So ask what you will, and think what you want, but for those who disbelieve, so be it. I know and believe 100% in what I have been told, and what my own extensive research has shown!

Chuck
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vonStubben; 12-26-2008, 02:58 PM.

back
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vonStubben; 12-26-2008, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Top showing hinge.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by vonStubben; 12-26-2008, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Side shot showing hinge, pin, and catch.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by vonStubben; 12-26-2008, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Side shot showing multi construction.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by vonStubben; 12-26-2008, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Field made piece beneath my 134 (Otto Klein).
            Attached Files
            Last edited by vonStubben; 12-26-2008, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Just one question I guess...How the heck do you field make a DKIG? Wreath, rivets, vaulting and all!

Comment

Originally posted by bratwurstdimsum
                Just one question I guess...How the heck do you field make a DKIG? Wreath, rivets, vaulting and all!
                Yes,something I would like to know too..
                Even if it was made of lead,tin,zink,how did they get the silver finish etc applied ?
                I've seen some cast,hammered or soldered fieldmade pieces,but this would be quite a job that hardly can be done just in the field IMO..

Jos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos Le Conté
                  Yes,something I would like to know too..
                  Even if it was made of lead,tin,zink,how did they get the silver finish etc applied ?
                  I've seen some cast,hammered or soldered fieldmade pieces,but this would be quite a job that hardly can be done just in the field IMO..

Jos.
                  Jos,

For some time now I fully expected controversy over this piece, and waited until something arose which would allow me to present it for proper discussion. Those who have already seen it have also expected, and voiced, the thought that many would have trouble believing in it, so in trying to keep an open mind let me tell you a bit more how it is made, and also pose a question or two to ponder over.

Where does it say that it must be crudely made? Was it actually made under field conditions, or in some town or hamlet where whoever had access to what was needed to make a more quality appearing item was able to do so? I think that many of us have seen some truely amazing things made by the Germans, under the toughest of conditions. How they accomplished much of what they did while in the field is nothing short of amazing, and I believe it is one of the things that we admire about them. And keep this in mind, there was a lot of talent out there, and although Weiss was known to be tough, he was loved by his men, so it makes sense that they might wish to do something for him in this regard. Please keep this in mind as well, Mark Yerger has said to me that the DKiG which Hans Weiss earned was long in coming to him, long after it was due, and was even presented AFTER the bestowal of his Knights Cross, so perhaps because of this it had even more meaning for him and his men.

Chuck

Comment

Construction

This is what I have learned so far in studying this award. It measures 61mm x 61mm. That is 2 mm smaller than most actual award pieces. The main body of the star burst and backing plate is made of aluminum, as is the central disc (with red painted border), and all hand worked, hence the nice silver finish. The aluminum back plate, when you have it in the hand and under a loupe, is quite obviously hand cut and filed, and each bolt, or ray, is individually formed. The outer star burst is made of zinc, appears to have been cast, and is painted black. The wreath and swastika are also made of zinc, the wreath being painted with a gold paint. All the individual pieces have been fused together with what appears to be some type of solder, that I think was poured into the holes of the backing plate, thus holding it all together. The hinge is actually made of the same aluminum material as the other pieces described. It was cut, formed, shaped, etc., and then inserted into a cut out space on the back plate, fitting perfectly with no gap whatsoever, very snugly, within the space made for it, and is really quite amazingly finished. The catch was formed and inserted into a drilled hole in much the same way. The swastika is just as well done, too. The substance used for the black center of the swastika is a somewhat soft material which has bubbled, it's almost like a patent leather, for lack of any better description. Unfortunately, I have not been able to isolate what the material is for certain.

I really wish that everyone were able to actually handle this piece, and see for themselves how well it is made.

Unfortunately, I must again state that that some will continue to disbelieve any of this. However, I trust the man Weiss gave this to, and the months of research I conducted after obtaining it. He has proven to me without any doubt (in the form of pictures, etc. of the two of them together), how the two men kept in touch with one another over the years. And as a side note, this man from whom I obtained the DKiG is absolutely beyond reproach, with no interest in what we do, or knowledge of medals at all.

If anyone out there has another DKiG made like this, which can disprove any of the above, I would like to see it. Until then, I must put my faith in what I know about this item and where it came from.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by vonStubben; 12-26-2008, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Have you ever looked for pictures of Weiss wearing this piece in the field?...that would prove the story beyond a shadow of a doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hopkins
                        Have you ever looked for pictures of Weiss wearing this piece in the field?...that would prove the story beyond a shadow of a doubt
                        Dear Andy,

Tim W, one of our forum members was kind enough to assist me regarding a request for such a picture and sent me this one, and just for the heck of it I will add a photograph of him as a civilian with the wife of the man to whom this decoration was given. That photo having been taken in 1975, the last time they saw one another before Weiss's death in 1978. It was taken at Weiss's Pepsi Cola distrubition center in Neu Ulm.

Also, Weiss was finally presented the DKiG on 23 April 1943, a full 17 days after receiving his Knights Cross. Also, photographs of Weiss wearing his KC and DKiG in the field are from what I understand quite rare. If anyone has anything other than this please let me know. Even Mark Yergers excellent new book, Volume 2 of Waffen-SS DKiG in Gold holders of the "Das Reich" division doesn't even have a picture of him wearing one.

Unfortunately this picture is not close or clear enough to tell if this is the one in question or not, and being so well made it would have to be a really clean, clear photograph to be sure.

Chuck
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by vonStubben; 12-26-2008, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Weiss 1975

Hans Weiss in 1975 with the fellows ex-wife (American) who I got this DKiG from.

And while I am at it, here is an old link regarding "field made", or in this case "on board" manufactured German medals.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/foru...ad.php?t=15369
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by vonStubben; 12-26-2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben
                            Unfortunately this picture is not close or clear enough to tell if this is the one in question or not, and being so well made it would have to be a really clean, clear photograph to be sure....Chuck

That is for sure..

But by the same token, I personally don't think it can be ruled OUT.

Marshall
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Biro
                              That is for sure..

But by the same token, I personally don't think it can be ruled OUT.

Marshall
                              Marshall,

Very interesting bit of work you have done there! I am quite pleased to see some constructive possibilities emerging from this discussion. It is very helpful indeed.

And as a matter of fact, I have just examined the piece again and the left side of the outer star burst does indeed sit just slightly higher than the right side as the pictured enhancement might suggest.

Thank you.

Chuck
                              Last edited by vonStubben; 07-25-2008, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X