Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theft of Wolfgang Spate's KC

Giday everyone,

Wolfgang Spate was a fighter pilot and won the Knights Cross with Oakleaves. He is credited with 99 air victories and was also the commander of the top secret testing program involving the ME-163 Komet, rocket powered aircraft.

I have just learnt today that Spate's decorations, including his Knights Cross, were stolen from a German museum.

Naturally Spate's widow is most upset.

It would be appreciated if everyone could maintain a watch for Spate's decorations. Should you have any information concerning the whereabouts of Spate's decorations, please do not hesitate to pass on the information to the police.

Best wishes,

Ian Tannahill

I don't own a Knight Cross (yet) but this is not the way to go about it. Shame on the thief and I hope he/she gets what they deserve and the medal(s) are returned.

Comment

This is really a rotten shame. I too hope that the thief is caught and that no mercy is shown to the low-life. I think a fitting punishment would be to immerse the thief in Me163 rocket fuel (C and T Stoff). I hear that if this stuff got on you, it would make you dissolve. Believe me, I will be on the lookout for any of Major Späte's decorations wherever I go.

Best regards! Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Its not as if the thief can use the provenance anymore if he wants to sell them. What a shame. I hope they are recovered soon
        Matt

Comment

Can someone post pictures here - will greatly enhance the chance finding these again.

Why can't museums take proper care for their artifacts

Cheers Thomas

Comment

hello i was at the museum and took these pics just a week before they were stolen.
            Attached Files

Comment

Sad news, there probably already in a private collection never to enter the market and never to be found again

Comment

If these are the same pieces I saw at the Luftwaffe Museum at Gatow last year, I think the thief may be in for a nasty surprise.

There are very few original Nazi awards on display at Gatow, most being museum copies to show a 'representative selection' of decorations.

I think the RK was a copy. Only going by memory, but I certainly didn't see an original RK with Oaks at that museum.

They also had other 'representative selections' for the Red Baron, Goering, etc. - groups of copies to represent the awards certain personalities won - but not their actually presented pieces.

Comment

Was it a burgalry break in style? I was there in May I believe and those were in that locked case as in the picture. The clasps and Pilots badge looked good. In the other room there was a hanseatic WW1 cross and a goblet in a case you could lift the top off of. I was tempted but I told the museum fellow about it. . I think Robin was right something seemed off about the RK not that I am ever that accurate about my authentications . It is a real shame because they were real nice folks there, they let me past the ropes to take pics on the inside of all the plane cockpits. They didn't have guards hovering all over you, guess all that will change now. One bad apple as they say....

Best, Sal

Comment

Apparently Marseille's diamonds were stolen from the Uetersen museum years ago, but I don't know whether this is true, or if the items were recovered. I hope Spaete's decorations are recovered, as he was a true hero.

Comment

its sadly, but what do you think about the thieves who had stolen the KC with oaks/swords and diamonds of fieldmarschall Walther Model and all of his other medals?? The private collection was in 1996 worth about 1 million German Mark... See the german policestory on this link:

http://www.polizei.nrw.de/kleve/sn/f....htm#Militaria

OR for directly the medals

http://www.polizei.nrw.de/kleve/sn/m...i.htm#Bild%202

Then look at "Militariasammlung in Geldern Walbeck geraubt"

Its an amazing story.....

Dont know of the thieves are caught.

greetz

martin

Comment

The way I see it these people are like the grave robbers who plundered past civilisations.
                        The only difference is that these thieves should know better.
                        Unfortunately greed generally overides any moral principles.
                        RAY.

Comment

Rommel's medals

What about the theft some years ago of Feldmarschall Erwin Rommel's items too!

His medals have never been recovered either.

All these great pieces in some frigging thief's possession, never to be recovered or attributed to their proper owners again. What a shame.

Chuck

Comment

If I remember correctly,Erich Hartmann had his goodies stolen too.I read it in World War II Magazine.I think it was his last interview.He told the magazine about another interview that he was doing.He upped to answer his phone and they snatched his medal's and bolted out the door.I guess he had them out to show the interviewers.What a shame.That's the kind of world we live in these days. Regards,Darrick

Comment

Unreal!

Darrick, didn't that same situation occur with Erich Topp?? (an interviewer stealing one of his military decorations?)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X