Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price tag residue on my L/19 EK1

Hi:

New to the Forum, been a lurker from GD.com. I have nice L/19 EK1 and someone many years ago put a little price tag on the back. It is small and all that remains is the residue. I tried a little friction and elbow grease and some of the great patina around it started to go and I stopped! Do I try WD-40, leave it alone? What?

Thanks up front!
    Last edited by Colorado; 11-09-2002, 02:11 PM.
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

No WD40, all I know is Wd40 doesnt do anything just wreks it more *at least thats what i heard.

About getting the rest of it off hmm dont really know. Why would the idiot seller put a price tag onthe medal anyways Shoulda been in a little zip-loc with a price on the bag.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me but in a different part, the front, which is even more visible. There was no real way to get the "goo" out without losing some of the patina, but the residue was very ugly so I went ahead and took it off (and lost some patina).
      Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Try using a cotton bud and soap and water, just on the sticker area, real gentle like. Not strong soap, not floods of water, take your time.

Regards
        Andy

Comment

Hi,

Acetone applied carefully with a cotton bud will remove any glue residue quickly, but be very careful as it will also remove any genuine laquer and also some tarnish/patina. I don't recommend as more harm than good can be done if you're not careful, but it is effective.

Regards
          Mike K
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

dont laugh, but try mayonaise. The oils will lift the glue. It works, and doesnt contain petroleum based solvents

remember, a little dab will do ya. Youre not removing a bumper sticker.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

just how did you find out about that, Mark? After you tried some ketchup and mustard on it?
              But, I have to admit, it sounds like a good homemade recipe!

Cheers, Frank H.
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

I read it somewhere, having to do with removing price tags from stuff. Probably "Hints from Heloise" or something. It takes a while, but it does work.

Next week: how to remove stubborn stains.

Comment

Originally posted by M. Schroeder

Next week: how to remove stubborn stains.

hehe gotta come and read that article.

I was wondering a thought came to my head What about Nail Polish Remover? oh heh never mind I already answerd that question for myself.

Comment

nail polish remover is acetone.

Comment

i have never tried this on a medal. but i have used butane lighter fluid to get sticker"goo" off various items and it has never defaced or stained them. any opinons on using this on a medal?

Comment

doesnt butane evaporate rather fast? This is the first I have heard of this, proably because of the safety issue.

Comment

Originally posted by M. Schroeder
                          nail polish remover is acetone.
                          Indubitably thats why i laughed at my own stupid question.

Comment

Eraser

Hi

I will not try by wet cleaning. I do it by "dry cleaning". To facing this problem, I will use a eraser with a little big pressure, removing the remaining price tag from the medal as do it as removing the pencil hand writing from paper. In addition, I will use some adhesive tape to remove any remaining tissue. Do it as you remove the dusts from the cloth.

Whatever you want to use any methods, try a test with similar materials first. To find the best way and technique for your cleaning process.

Cheers
                            BP
                            Last edited by Bryan Poon; 11-10-2002, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I have another thing to add about the Mayo, why not just rub the medal with a piece of T-bone steak?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X