Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knight's cross

Gents,

I'm mostly a edged weapon collector but I would love to acquire a nice KC.
    Being new to the hobby and having read many threads on the subjects, I have one question I would like to ask.
    It seems that the KC by Juncker are the most desirable on the market ( along with the Zimmerman ), but is it fair to say other Knight cross by S&L and K&Q are NOT as desirable ?

The reason why I'm asking this, is because it seems that these KC are selling for a lot less money than a Juncker.

I've seen an S&L and an K&Q selling for a 1000$ less than a Juncker (they were in the same condition ) and there were still no takers at that price.
    Is it fair to say that some KC makers are worth a lot less than others ?
    If so, why ?
    Thanks,
    Pat

Hi Pat,

I think a lot of it has to do with numbers produced by the various companies. It seems S&L and K&Q made most of the crosses awarded, and are therefore more readily available. Juncker made a lesser number, and Zimmermann and Godet being the rarest. There are many on the forum here who are bigger fans of the S&L cross than of the Juncker.

Best,

Comment

Harry,

Thanks for the information and it is logical that a less "common" KC badge would be worth more. I did not know that the Juncker was much rarer.
      It is the same with daggers, as rare maker marked are worth more.
      However, were the quality similar in their construction and finish ?

Pat
      Last edited by patrice; 07-04-2005, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Harry-

I would guess that juncker and S&L were the most common, followed by K&Q, schickle, zimmerman/godet, 3/4 ring, and deschler. There are no records of relative production that I am aware of or that anyone has ever mentioned, so it is a guess.

I think that the popularity of the juncker pieces is related to the presumption that the dies were destroyed during the war and there is less chance of post war restrikes for this maker. Relative construction quality appears to have no impact on relative worth.

Comment

Pat, as you know one must consider ALL factors when collecting to include rarity and eventual sale. However, in the end it boils down to what we "LIKE". I wouldn't say no to any Knight's Cross but there's just "SOMETHING" about a nice crisp S&L!!!

Here's an older picture but it suggests where my 'tastes' lean....
          Last edited by Dave Kane; 12-17-2006, 02:18 PM.
          Regards,
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
            Pat, as you know one must consider ALL factors when collecting to include rarity and eventual sale. However, in the end it boils down to what we "LIKE". I wouldn't say no to any Knight's Cross but there's just "SOMETHING" about a nice crisp S&L!!!

Here's an older picture but it suggests where my 'tastes' lean....
            Nice display . My eyes hurt, for not havin been blinking for a while
            Thanks for showing all those RK

Best regards,
            Flemming

Comment

SPEECHLESS !

Comment

Hey Pat......I see you have run out of SS types and defected over here too .....Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by tom hansen View Post
                  Harry-

I think that the popularity of the juncker pieces is related to the presumption that the dies were destroyed during the war and there is less chance of post war restrikes for this maker. Relative construction quality appears to have no impact on relative worth.
                  That is a good point for me. That make sense. Of course that about rare pieces is also a good point for some collectors. But I think I would preffer a standar award, something that for sure most of the soldiers worn and if S&L made a lot of them I think I would like to get one of those. (it makes me fell like there are most changes that a soldier worn that cross, human history behind the piece, more chances that it was there in the battlefield or its sisters).

However, your point about that theory about the destruction of the dies really could make a lot of people to buy a Junker (not risk of post war fakes, but now who knows).

Regards

Edgar

Comment

There is NO proof the Junker dies were distoyed. The factory was bombed out but this doesn't mean that all the dies were distoyed.

A man with a black beard and hat told me once he had heard from an unknown source ,the only dies that survived the bombing were these of the KC. These dies were sold to an dealer who's son is still making restrikes today.
                    ....so....I suggest you should keep this in mind when buying a Juncker cross....no?
                    Pieter.
                    SUUM CUIQUE ...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pieter Verbruggen View Post
                      A man with a black beard and hat told me once he had heard from an unknown source ,the only dies that survived the bombing were these of the KC. These dies were sold to an dealer who's son is still making restrikes today.
                      Pieter.
                      It must be the same guy in California who also has the K&Q and S&L dies...

Comment

There may be no evidence that the Juncker dies were distroyed BUT I find it hard to believe that anything would be in one piece in a factory that was completely 'bombed out'. The heat alone would cause everything to warp.

Regards,
                        AB.
                        In memory of my Uncle,
                        Schtz.Grenadier KARL HOFBAUER,
                        2 Kompanie, Inf-Bat, 550.
                        Killed in action, Krasnoje, Minsk, 7. Nov. 1942.

Comment

...My family's house was hit by a V1, ...destoyed to the ground, but even some porcelan dishes survived. So don't think everything is gone when it is bombed out...
                          Pieter
                          SUUM CUIQUE ...
                          sigpic

Comment

My highest award thus far has been the DKiG, so I'm not even in the same league as you gentlemen. But, if and when I buy a KC I want it to be a an original piece like the Lt. is wearing in the photo at the top of the page, whether it be Juncker, S&L, Godet, whatever. With all the talk of postwar-made pieces, it puts doubt into my mind when thinking of buying anything in mint condition. Honestly, I would rather have an unmarked, worn original, when putting that much money into one piece.

Until reading this, I was under the impression that Juncker pieces were THE pieces to have, the safest. What edidence do we really have other than the man wearing the hat with his story?

Robert

Comment

...I collect more than 30 years, handled hundreds of KC. I can say a KC is one of the easiest things to detemine if it's real or not! If it's a Juncker, S&L, K&Q or something else.
                              I made this previous post because I'm realy fed up with these rumours on surviving dies, restrikes...etc.
                              I can assure you, if you would know how many dies the war survived...you would be surprised. I've got a lot of dies in my collection too. And you would be surprised which ones...
                              You may have the die, but this doesn't mean you will be able to make perfect copys!
                              So all this gaga on KC'ss...I wished everything was as easy as for a KC.
                              Pieter
                              SUUM CUIQUE ...
                              sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X