No announcement yet.

Members .... Opinions on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a little more research and found an interesting article from FIRE and SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY write up. Part of that document has a blurb on Temperatures of Flame Temperatures in Room Fires:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=pagesubtitles align=middle>Flame temperatures in room fires

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=mainjust>There is fairly broad agreement in the fire science community that flashover is reached when the average upper gas temperature in the room exceeds about 600°C. Prior to that point, no generalizations should be made: There will be zones of 900°C flame temperatures, but wide spatial variations will be seen. Of interest, however, is the peak fire temperature normally associated with room fires. The peak value is governed by ventilation and fuel supply characteristics [14] and so such values will form a wide frequency distribution. Of interest is the maximum value which is fairly regularly found. This value turns out to be around 1200°C, although a typical post-flashover room fire will more commonly be 900~1000°C. The time-temperature curve for the standard fire endurance test, ASTM E 119 [15] goes up to 1260°C, but this is reached only in 8 hr. In actual fact, no jurisdiction demands fire endurance periods for over 4 hr, at which point the curve only reaches 1093°C. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The entire document is here:

http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html

Melting Point Iron = 1535 C
    Melting Point of (pure) Silver = 961 C

The Melting Point of Solder varies between 118-243 C depending on the Tin / Lead content.

So I guess depending upon the conditions of the fire, the Iron should not melt, however, the Silver Frame could be in the melting point range. Possibly some Alloys in the less than 100% Silver (as found on these frames) could possibly up the melting point as well.

Comment

If the fire story is correct, then we must remember that it would possibly have been sitting in a case or in a drawer, etc. so there are many factors to take into consideration.

The finish looks consistant with a low temperature fire, but what I find surprising is that everyone has given it the thumbs down yet the description says it comes with "Detlevs Authenticity".
      Is everyone saying Detlev is wrong?

Cheers,
      Brett

Comment

Good morning.

This Grandcross, along with another GC, 3 x KC marked "20", 1 x KC of WMC with swords marked "20", 1 x Oakleaves with swords 21 - 900" and oakleaves "21 - 900" turned up in germany.Offered from a man who sayd that he has found it somewhere in Lüdenscheid.
        Nice Story, but no need to be true, because the pieces are here and available for doublechecking.
        the 3 KC's "20" were absolutly textbook.
        The swords and oaks will come today on my update and came nicely from the silver cleaning bath.(they had heavily ugly patina).
        The other GC is with a german collector who had asked a juweleer to "clean" it from rust.You would not believe how it looks today.
        Jason Burmester has a supber GC "L/12". You should take your time and compare this "burned" GC to his. You will be amazed to see that this GC is the "ugly" twin brother of Jasons...

We have a saying here in germany,that sometimes you find a princess amoung the ugly.

regards
        detlev

Comment

Originally posted by Detlev Niemann
          Good morning.

This Grandcross, along with another GC, 3 x KC marked "20", 1 x KC of WMC with swords marked "20", 1 x Oakleaves with swords 21 - 900" and oakleaves "21 - 900" turned up in germany.Offered from a man who sayd that he has found it somewhere in Lüdenscheid.
          Nice Story, but no need to be true, because the pieces are here and available for doublechecking.
          the 3 KC's "20" were absolutly textbook.
          The swords and oaks will come today on my update and came nicely from the silver cleaning bath.(they had heavily ugly patina).
          The other GC is with a german collector who had asked a juweleer to "clean" it from rust.You would not believe how it looks today.
          Jason Burmester has a supber GC "L/12". You should take your time and compare this "burned" GC to his. You will be amazed to see that this GC is the "ugly" twin brother of Jasons...

We have a saying here in germany,that sometimes you find a princess amoung the ugly.

regards
          detlev
          Thanks for the info Detlev.

Comment

-

Scheisse! I was quick there. Pressumed it was a KC instead of a GC... Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig
              Scheisse! I was quick there. Pressumed it was a KC instead of a GC... Sorry!
              Me too

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X