Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EKII mm 138 - Julius Maurer ?

Hello all,

I've had a bit of spare time recently and thought I'd take a day to make an inventory of my collection.
    It's something I've been meaning to do for years and surprisingly far from being the unpleasant task I expected it to be I rather enjoyed it all so I ended up recording when and from who I got all my items and how much I paid. I also took the opportunity to identify some pieces that I had never put a makers name to before.
    Below is one such unidentified Iron cross on a 'Stempel' ribbon bar.
    I used to be quite handy at identifying crosses during my EKII collecting days but I've fallen out of practice in the last couple of years, however I have done some research and taken a look at my reference books and at examples on WAF and I think the example I am showing is a Julius Maurer (138) cross. I cant see if it is marked and I don't fancy messing around with this beautiful medal bar too much to check.

Anyway here's the pics. What do you reckon ? Is it a Maurer or do I need to go back to Iron Cross identification school ?

Thanks for reading.
    Attached Files

unmarked 75

Comment

“75” is Julius Maurer, “138” is Louis Gottlieb.
      B&D PUBLISHING
      Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
        Intriguingly.

WR Kirill

Comment

Regards
          Jarek

Comment

It is explained in the EK2 book and the evidence is not only overwhelming but also conclusive. Julius Maurer is "75" and Louis Gottlieb is "138". By the way: had anybody any evidence that "138" was Julius Maurer other than just "copy and paste"?
            B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Ah right, interesting, so things have moved on a bit since I was collecting Iron crosses a few years ago.

So am I right in thinking that the crosses exhibiting the characteristics of the 75 maker that were until recently regarded as being from the 'unknown' maker are now considered to be from Julius Maurer and crosses exhibiting the characteristics of 138 crosses that used to be thought of as Maurer crosses are now considered to be from Louis Gottlieb.

Is that right ?

Comment

Yes, that is right.
                It is more about the numbers than the characteristics. The characteristics of a "75" were always known since the cross is marked such. It was the name that was missing and now we know that "75" is Julius Maurer.
                Same with "138", characteristics were known but maker was wrongly assigned as Julius Maurer. It is and always was Louis Gottlieb.
                B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Thanks for all the help everybody.
                  I've learnt something new and I really appreciate it

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Dietrich,I found a mint 75 numbered KVK2 without Swords in its mint Julius Maurer marked packet..

Sorry to hijack your thread Greg

Cheers
                    Bob

Comment

ENGLISH BOB - You are more than welcome to contribute to my threads anytime.
                      I very much appreciate any response but particularly yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
                        ENGLISH BOB - You are more than welcome to contribute to my threads anytime.
                        I very much appreciate any response but particularly yours.
                        Cheers for that nice comment Greg,
                        but i'm only a small cheese in the curdled milk churn of life,there are some truly blessed people of knowledge on this forum sadly i'm not one of them but i'll certainly help where i can

BR
                        Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X