Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KVK opinions please

Hi Guys
    I have been offered a KVK 1st class with swords as part of a collection. The award is slightly thinner than the ones I have seen and has a strange looking pin and catch. Can you please give me your opinions on this item. I'm sorry about the quality of the photos (sellers not mine) but you can see the catch in them.
    All comments good or bad greatly appreciated

Les
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

The thinner part should be OK, I have never seen one with a pin system like that, and am curious to see what the verdict is. Maybe it's a repair job?

Comment

That pin setup is new to me too.
        George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
          That pin setup is new to me too.
          I've seen a few KVK1 w/o swords with the below needle pin setup, but not on a with swords before.

This one from Kai's site (it is a zinc example):
          Attached Files
          Last edited by h009291; 05-14-2005, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Can we see the obverse Les?

At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

I have had to play about with the brightness a bit but here it is. It's slightly convex and comes with the original case and original award doc ( haven't seen these yet)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LES Y; 05-14-2005, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Hi Les. Is there anyway you could show a side picture? One that shows how thin you are taking about? Thanks.

Comment

No sorry, I dont have the award here but if you look at the second photo you can get a good idea from that.
                  Les

Comment

Originally posted by LES Y
                    No sorry, I dont have the award here but if you look at the second photo you can get a good idea from that.
                    Les
                    If you look at that picture, it appears that the corner of the 9 oclock arm (if you were to look at the front of the badge) is bent. It must be thin to do that

I wonder why the person holding the badge in the next picture has that bent piece hidden in his hand?

Comment

My you are suspicious...........
                      It's actually me holding it and I wasn't hiding anything. Or didn't think I was.
                      I was actually holding it up to photo the catch.
                      Les

Comment

Originally posted by LES Y
                        It's actually me holding it and I wasn't hiding anything. Or didn't think I was
                        Les
                        Ahh ok ...

Didn't mean to say you were, I just found it coincidental that the same side was being held . Interesting cross never-the-less. Reverse setup and "thin-ness" aside, this cross has some pretty decent Obverse detail.

The last picture you posted ... everytime I look at it ..it sure appears like the cross is vaulted. Did you notice that? Maybe the owner tried to vault it by hand, thats the reason for the bent arm???

Comment

Yes it is definately vaulted,. Not done by the current owner, he assures me

Les

Comment

Well if it isn't vaulted I give up.

I have never seen a hinge/pin/catch setup like this on a kvk before. For that reason alone I would be wary although I have to say that I do like the 'look' of this piece.

It would be interesting to see if there are any others out there.

Cheers,
                            David.
                            At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

David
                              I have never seen this set up before either, but the award looks right from the front( well to me anyway) which is why I thought I would throw it into the forum and see if there are any others out there
                              Les

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X