Wound badge boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wound badge boxes

Just a general question that I am hoping somebody can help me with.
    I have noticed a lot a cased wound badges recently in boxes with red, white, or black bases. Is there any set colour for a particular grade of wound badge or can any grade go in any box?
    The reason I ask is that I recently got a Gold wound badge in a case whith a white base but found out the badge was fake. I was going to replace it with a silver wound badge but thought I had better check first to see if it was a case for a gold wound badge only.

Thanks,
    Brett

Hello Brett,

Good question. You would be correct to put a gold or silver badge in the white based box, indeed as with the maroon (red) based later boxes (hinged by paper or metal, with a pull out base type)
    There are versions of the hard case with a black base also of course but it bares no real relevance whether a gold or silver grade is in there, no black ones of course.

However in the case of the small LDO boxes there was at one time an intention to colour code the boxes........this all went to pot as more black and silver grades were issued than gold and more black overall.

The intention was for the gold WB to be in a blue LDO cardboard box (the small non hinged ones) black as a normal course in maroon as with the silver.*

Of course boxes aren't cheap and LDO packets printed with the desigantion or plain LDO packets awaiting 'stamp' of specific award were a tad more econimical. It also depended on the award maker, the smaller companies went over to the packets sooner rather than later, in some cases the smaller guys only produced them in packets from a very early stage of the war.

This is a very simplified version of events with some small details left out, I don't want to give to much away....you may buy my book one day

Any more questions please just pm or e mail me, I'm no expert by any means; I'm just 'in love' with boxes and packets.

(* to be confirmed)

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Thanks Marcus,

I follow your comments and have noticed your wealth of knowledge in regards to cases, packets, etc.

I am trying to get cases for most of my awards and crosses and have just picked up a nice, empty Meybauer marked case for my Meybauer EK1 off one of the forum members. Also off the same member a nice L/11 EK1 with an LDO marked case. I picked up an empty WW1 case with the gold cross outline on the lid from Kai Winkler the other week as well, so I am having a bit of luck.
      I was disappointed to find out that the Gold Wound Badge in my case was a fake (L/14 repro) but at least I have a nice LDO marked case to place another one into.

Best Regards,
      Brett

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X