No announcement yet.

Casefor German Cross in Gold - Repro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One other fudamental 'test' is to black light the case: the lid liner and white cardboard border around the base.

It's not gospel, but a fair indicator.

I'd say the case is either period (pre '45) or the chances are it's an early '57 constructed with wartime parts ????

Any other thoughts from anyone ?

Comment

Thank you for the help Marcus.
      Some pictures of the area under the base. The color of the cardboard is more of a brown than the pictures indicate. It's due to the lighting. The glue is clear, not the brown animal glue I have noticed in some of the period cases, maybe not a good sign. Unfortunately I don't have a black light, I will have to get one.
      Wolfgang
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The base is convex.
            Attached Files

Comment

That looks like a period stamped out KB base recess.

I like it !!

I'm just unsure of the 'issue' era (pre '45 or an early '57), the more conversed DK fanatic's will have to jump in here - gut feeling only, tempts me to say a pre '45 case.

Comment

Marcus, sorry, but what is a KB base?
                Wolfgang

Comment

KB is the prefix lettering before the base identifier code of 637, your base is a KB 637.

KB we assume stands for the makers initials of the company that made many of the bases for cased awards.

For instance:

- KB 629 bases are for wound badges

- KB 621 for EK. KVK, Ostvolker and so on.

637 is specifically for the DK's, if you were to lift back the black base covering you'd find this code (no need to do it)

When looking at the recess you can see although a little rough around the edges another impression from the stamp cut-out, this is a good sign for a period base.

Comment

Impression in red circles
                    Attached Files

Comment

And a genuine base showing such more clearly

(pic of REDVIPERS base)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by MH184; 11-03-2007, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Thank you Marcus, you are absolutely correct, the impression around the cutout is exactly the same as in your example. The color and texture of the cardboard is an exact match as well. I suppose there is still the possibility that it is a post war assembled case using period materials.
                        Wolfgang

Comment

There is that chance, when I get home I'll take a closer look at the material of the lid liner and 'hinge gap' flap.

Can you lift up the the strip that is covering the catch mech (spring or slider) and take a quick pic.

However, more I view it the more confident I am it's period personally.

Comment

I hope these are good enough. If not, I will try with daylight tomorrow.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

No they're just fine, it pertains to a period catch also !!

Don't be overly concerned or put off by the glue.

I know some collectors deem it the be all premise of originality but it is not I assure you.

They're not wrong in the sense it can be darkened over time, but it's as true to say not.

It could well be a '57 with the darkened glue and many fakes carry this trait too - modern and earlier.

I'd like to see how this fares with the DK collectors now.

Personally I like it.
                                Last edited by MH184; 11-04-2007, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,687 at 02:12 PM on Today.

Working...
                                X