Order of the German Eagle Award Cases: 3rd & 5th Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order of the German Eagle Award Cases: 3rd & 5th Class

Showing here two award cases for assessment. The first came with a period original 3rd Class award so I am quite certain that it is also period original. The second is for a 5th Class award.

All feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and regards,

John
    Attached Files

The first case is 100% original from the period 1939-1943 used in the Godet Awards.

About the last case I have to say that it differs from the 5th class cases that I have seen so far.

It should correspond to a case for the cross of the 5th class period 1943-1945 manufactured by Godet or Zimmermann but these cases were identical to the first example we have seen except for the internal legend that it showed: Deutscher Adler Order V. Klasse.

It differs from the ones I have seen so far in the closing clasp used, a lighter color of the skin used to make the case and I am also surprised by the lost gold in the eagle and the external frame. In general it does not look bad but this is a case that would have to be investigated in hand to be 100% sure

Comment

On the left a legend in a 5th class case with swords, on the right its case.
      Look at the font and the legend on the right is very blurred ... not very marked. In the case on the left is a very strong marking with quite visible gold
      Attached Files

Comment

Above closure of a case from 1939-1945
        Down the clasp used in its case
        Attached Files

Comment

On the left a normal case from 1943-1945.
          On the right its case.
          Look at the skin color and the gold of the two cases
          Attached Files

Comment

I do not mean by this to indicate that it is a fake case ... late-stage cases, such as medals, were made of poorer quality.

There is no record indicating that all cases were made by a single manufacturer even though most are the same.

The Orders of the german Eagle were made by Godet, Deschler and Zimmermann although I do not rule out other manufacturers such as those who made the first copies of the first semester 1937, who have not yet been shown ... I think it happened the same with the cases ... what's more, I think That Godet and Deschler commissioned the cases from other manufacturers of this type of material, so it is feasible that there were more than one company that manufactured Godet and Deschler cases with small variations between them, and therefore, cases with different shades of leather or different types of closure .... There is no documentary evidence for what I affirm but my opinion is that.

To know if your case is original or manufactured after the war, you would have to examine it carefully in hand ... but if you ask me for my opinion, I am inclined to think that it is authentic but it has been very poorly preserved

Comment

Hi Marisca,

i think the case for the 5th grade you post is a modern reproduction.
              It lacks overall quality and the outer texture reminds me of other replica cases.

Jelle

Comment

Originally posted by Jelle M. View Post
                Hi Marisca,

i think the case for the 5th grade you post is a modern reproduction.
                It lacks overall quality and the outer texture reminds me of other replica cases.

Jelle
                It is very possible ... surely that is why the gilding of the eagle and the outer frame are almost priceless. I also did not like the texture of the internal legend ... it is a very superficial gold without any quality

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X