Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special GWL PO case

Hi Guys,

There was a good thread before on the GWL PO badge in which I mentioned that I had a special case for one, well here it is. The case is high quality early velvet, it is higher than a normal Pilot's badge one and only the GWL badge will fit in it, it is RECESSED AND FITTED to house the wide pin that the GWL badge has, this you can clearly see in the following pics. The badge is IMO a very early one, you can see that the fault on the left hand centre is only slightly formed.

Does anybody else have one of these cases?

Regards,

Anthony
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Anthony; 06-15-2005, 05:04 AM.

The inside.
    Attached Files

Comment

The badge in the case.
      Attached Files

Comment

The makers mark.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow

Now that is a great looking match, Anthony that case is also a first for me, nice stuff Question, would the unknown maker pilot badge fit in that case also.... just thinking out loud. ......

If so, then the case would have also been made for the unknown maker or it was made for the unknown maker and not GWL . Again, just thinking out loud at the end of a very long day. Eithier way it doesn't matter, this type of case with the varience for the hinge is new to me, I just thought that GWL badges came in those other crappy astro turf type cases Boy, Ivan will really like this, I wonder if he has one.

Forgot to mention what a GREAT looking P/O that is

Best,
          Joe
          What we do in life ehoes in eternity.

Comment

Anthony,

What a great looking P/O. Still looking for a nice one of those myself.

As to the case. Well my direct purchase, early GWL Pilots came in the type of case shown on this thread. Notice how the cutouts are exactly the same as the later "crappy" type cases. This is what I would consider a specific case for a GWL. Does´nt mean yours is´nt a variation though as cases were obviously not under any control of sorts.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/foru...1&page=3&pp=15

Skip
            LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the nice comments. This is one of the highlights of my collection. This badge was awarded in this case to an Austrian fighter pilot early in the war. To me it is just an early case, the same as the early Pilot's and Para badges with the velvet inside etc etc. However it is form fitted for just this badge and no other. Skip has said that he has an early Pilot's badge in the same case so that sort of sums it all up.

Regards,

Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony
                Hi Guys,

Thanks for the nice comments. This is one of the highlights of my collection. This badge was awarded in this case to an Austrian fighter pilot early in the war. To me it is just an early case, the same as the early Pilot's and Para badges with the velvet inside etc etc. However it is form fitted for just this badge and no other. Skip has said that he has an early Pilot's badge in the same case so that sort of sums it all up.

Regards,

Anthony
                That works for me. Now I can sleep GWL has always been my favorite maker in LW badges as far as design and finish, until I saw this case I thought they only put those badges in the crappy cases.

Best,
                Joe
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Joseph D'Errico; 06-15-2005, 05:52 AM.
                What we do in life ehoes in eternity.

Comment

Naughty people this would be a good thread on the cases and packets forum.

In regards to the recess, well these were hand done once punched out, to encompass a variety of pins and hinges, earlier they were stenciled and cut out by hand. Often the same base was used fior the same box with a different outer cover and designation, true also to say same outer covering different designation.

And in reagrds to the lid portion height, these differ regardless, and many have a higher section area above than below. Skip you'll notice this on you 50 odd boxes, from Para to PO. Two of my Honour Roll boxes, feature this for no obvious reason for such an flat award.

On many boxes the frame didn't change just the material's, earlier or late by material isn't specific to issue date either, manufacture certainly.

The point I'm trying to make is, this could and only could be a relationship/not a criteria to the badge by GWL in this instance, period and subsequently other factors contribute.

I wouldn't be of the orientation to say this is a GWL contract specific box as of yet, association yes, it appears plausable . If it were contract, depending on the batch and period the would be the same and most likely the outer covering. Thats open thought, as it goes.

Of these GWL badges, what is the determined age early mid late etc. Or indeed pre war as opposed to early war ????

At the end of the day does it matter, well bollocks not really.......beautiful badge and box...both original, I just don't want a myth and unfactual illusions spread on the forum as sometimes things do is reagrds to the box and couterpart awards.

They are hard to part once set in motion, please can we refraine from calling this a GWL box solely or such intimation..at this moment intime for me it is still a generic box which affiliates to the dimensions of the GWL certainly....but that does not prescribe it to GWL alone. Purpose fits, but there is no premise or suggestion to permit sole designation.

Skippy, cases were under a form of control and decision of types catored for each company or award makers (limited to period), the Luft deviated and didn't ahere to Ldo concepts, because of Goring and affilliation with certain makers and rather obtuse idea of his own. It wasn't until 1944 (late) that things had to change, due to shortages. You have generic boxes and you have boxes made for award makers under contract, the only differnce being in most examples, outer covering and desination lid types, thats why you have so many variations of one type related perhaps losely to one period (And hence crossover realtionships..just makes the mind boggle..will we ever know for sure ? Maybe, perhaps.......)

Do we know the maker of this box, is there a code on the base ?

Kr

Marcus

Comment

Superb case, the only clarification I would like to make is what is meant by 'early case'?? I consider an early case to be from the period 1935-39ish & contained the flat wreath lighter construction awards.

I would think this would rate 39-41?? in the production stakes, but no one knows. So perhaps early wartime case would be more applicable?

Construction & quality ceratinly up with my 'early cases'.

Regards,

Neil

Comment

Hi Neil,

By early I just mean that the case(s) are the best quality with velvet lining, to at least the first year of the war, next came the flocked type still with a good outer shell but no velvet, and then just the late cardboard boxes. The time span you have put on it seems fine to me.

Regards,

Anthony

Comment

Hi dear Anthony !

come back home ?

A very nice set you get !

Joseph is right, I would have it, unfortunately I haven't a case like this one !

even if normally GWL's are presented in cases showed from Skip, I agree this case looks to be made for GWL's or unmarked types.

Ivan

Ivan Bombardieri

Comment

GWL Pilot Cases

Hi Marcus,

Just a point I noted, which you probably know already but perhaps for the benefit of others. I bought a cased GWL last year and found that the tip of the right wing (when looking at the badge) was catching on the edge of the case, clearly the badge did not fit properly. The case however was perfect for a juncker pilot I had.

On looking at the two badges it became apparent that the right wing extended out further on the GWL so would lead me to beleive that the GWL cases would need to be either slightly wider or have the cut out for the pin recess slightly offset or relatively wide (as in the flocked card inserts) to allow the badge to sit slightly off centre to the left.

Would be grateful if any members could confirm the internal width of their GWL cases and compare to those used for other manufacturers.
                          Regards, Rob
                          Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X