RK outer carton thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK outer carton thoughts

I posted this once before a long time ago, the feedback wasn't positive on it.

I'd like now to propose that indeed this is a genuine outer carton and not fake.

The fake cartons, are obvious or certainly not so obvious as a mulitude of materials and several differnt types of outer carton concerning RK's have been post war produced. From the thick cardboard and stapled cornered 'shoe box' style with lift off all in one lid to the sleeve and flap ended versions.

In this instance, this paticular outer carton has been purported to resemble the Soldat fake carton, in fact the Soldat reproduction they sold had an incorrect makers address (in regards to size and shape of numerals & letters) and the designation was incorrect in the print size context.

The same could be said of the flaps and inner two flaps either end of the box. Wrong cut, wrong shape and size.

The materials used were also quite blatently modern in this instance on the Soldat case. Now these guys sold them, and didn't make them so not to single them out, but in fact other reproduction 'specilaists' to sold such items, similar or the exact same fake.

Now onto the case I show:

While the spaceing inbetween the designation of Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, is in the correct proportion of distance in relation to the makers name C.E Junker Berlin SW 68, the designation is lower from the top end of the box, just.

This adjustment, with distance inbetween the makers name, gives when compared to say page 285 of Gordon Williamsons The Iron Cross of 1939 picture and example of the very same type of outer carton and incorrect postioning of the designation and makers name.

This is true, however: The text of the designation and makers name when compared to these examples is exactly the same, from the dropped R in Kreuzes and the slightly higher E (third letter in) just for one observation on lettering.

The same applies to Berlin in the makers name, the L, is misaligned and above the horizontal line of the other letters. Fakes do not emulate this to my knowledge, certainly none I've seen ? And the 'in', in Berlin is 'dropped' as is on the originals.

There are other contributeing 'fors' in the lettering too.

I'm convinced this outer carton is genuine on the basis of the lettering alone and obviously I haven't just judged it on that; I'd like to hear other opinons on my thoughts or any owners views of such an outer carton if possible please. There are other Junker types, but would like to specificaly judge these examples for comparison's sake.

Lenght 14.9 cm
    Width 7.5 cm
    Depth 2.6 cm

Flap: from bending crease line and extended flap 5 cm
    Width at broadest part of the rectangular part of flap 7.3-4 cm

Kr

Marcus

Attached Files
    Last edited by MH184; 06-11-2005, 05:58 AM.

des
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MH184; 06-11-2005, 05:55 AM.

Comment

maker name
      Attached Files

Comment

An inner flap
        Attached Files

Comment

Outer extending flap
          Attached Files

Comment

End shot
            Attached Files

Comment

Partial inside shot
              Attached Files

Comment

Side shot
                Attached Files

Comment

Over all view
                  Attached Files

Comment

Marcus, I noticed the letters in 'Kreuzes' are a bit 'up-an-down', the Es in particular seem to sit higher than the other characters. Is this a feature of original cardboards?
                    Last edited by Harry; 07-10-2007, 06:44 AM.

Comment

It seems to be Harry a feature in the genuine examples (3) of this exact type of cardboard box. It can be noticed in some makers names on cardboard boxes and in the, 'not to be opened......' on some outer cartons of the EK variety.

I'll show you a pic of the genuine thing.

I'll be a couple of minutes.

Kr

Marcus

Comment

An extract of a picture from Gordon Williamsons book, The Iron Cross of 1939 publsihed by Bender Books.

This is a extract of a picture on pg 285 which clearly shows the exact same 'up & down' letters.

This is a an old purchse and not a new one, I've had this for many years now....so it's not a 'new' wave of good fakes.
                        Attached Files

Comment

mm
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting! I am on the look out for one of these, so I need to pic up as many points as poss to get the real thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
                              Very interesting! I am on the look out for one of these, so I need to pic up as many points as poss to get the real thing!

Me too...

Marcus - all I can point out here for you, is that strictly in terms of a match up with the one in Gordons book, I would debate these two areas.

I don't have, nor have I ever seen an original, so this is only about what has been laid out in this thread - nothing more.

While the anomally in Gordons 'C' could be put down to many things including a lump on the cardboard on which it was printed, I would say that more importantly, the two '6's do not appear to be consistant stylistically.

I would add though, that in almost every other department - particularly the 'up-and-down' printing, there is VERY little if any variation between the two cartons you exhibit.

Just my observations.

Marshall
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X