This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olive, tan & fake Afrikakorps cufftitles

Here are some AKCT's. Which are good or bad ?
    Attached Files

Or this one ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 02-25-2014, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Or this one ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Or this one ?
        Attached Files

Comment

Post 1 & 2 are originals, post 3 & 4 fakes.

Comment

2 more to look at ?
            Attached Files

Comment

3,4, not original post 6 I may not think so either? Is there something new here learn please?

-Ray-

Comment

I agree, post 3 and 4 are fakes, and in post 6 first cufftitle let me think about a fake and second an original (but to be 100% sure a back side picture would be of help!).

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
                - THE SS TK RING
                - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
                - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
                - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

I agree with abhöbe Mine!

1&2 good
                  3&4 Fakes
                  6 Fakes too but a view from the Reverse will be sure!

Thomas!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. The first four are all good. Post # 1 the first three are the earlier olive version. notice the veriations just on this type. Only the olive version saw service in Afrika.
                    Post # 2 the 4th Ct is the later tan style original. These were found in bundles at the end of the War and came out to late to be issued to the troops but are original.

The next four are all fakes. Post # 3 first is the "tartan weave" olive version. Then post # 4 the tartan weave tan version. Both with that distinctive "tartan weave" on the reverse of the lettering. Also the diamond shaped hole in the reverse of the "O" are tells for this "tartan weave" version. Post # 6 the next two fakes have been attached to tunics unfortunantly. (so no reverse) but still something can be told....

The fakes come in a wide range of colors for the border edging.

From the front, take a look at the arms of the "F" on all the fakes, much longer than originals.
                    Also from the front look at the triangles in the "A's", the fakes have a deformed triangle while the originals above all have close to perfect triangles.....

Hope this demonstrates someways to tell good from bad AKCT's
                    thanks

Comment

You can see the difference by the roundness shape of the "O" from the front side too. Look closely and compare. There are a few long arm "F"s that are close and almost had me fooled but original too. Would like to pull some of these examples up here. Most all long arm "F's" I seen are fake as mentioned awhile back.

-Ray-

Comment

A few original long arm "F" AKCT's or is it my eye's playing tricks. For sure some originals have slightly shorter "F's" and some fakes are normal size and some even longer arms than this as seen above.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by -Ray-; 02-26-2014, 10:48 PM.

Comment

"F" Close to post 3 ???

-Ray-
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by -Ray-; 02-26-2014, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Hi Ray

Thanks for posting these two original AKCT's. Your right the arms are longer than most originals but still not as long as the fakes. The fakes are really long armed when compared to originals...The originals look like stub arms when compared to the fakes side by side.
                            Also notice in Ray's fine examples the triangle in the "A's", agian almost perfect when compared to the deformed triangles of the fakes.

Would encourage anyone to add an AKCT or two to this thread for comparisons, especially the fakes.

Comment

Here's my observations and clarification of the difference's regarding the "O's"

Earlier I should have asserted the inner portion of the "O" is where you can detect a slight variation. The curvature to the inner top and bottom (green portion) of the "O" is almost always slightly sharper on the fake.

Maybe not quite a bullet technique but this may be a limited guide when assessing an attached AKCT? Any other opinions about this please.

-Ray-

***Look at the consistency of the 3 originals. compared to the fake below and conclusive pattern of other fake tittles. The fake's with the diamond "O" to the reverse I refer to as "Diamond Backs" just like the deadly snake
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by -Ray-; 02-27-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 12 users online. 0 members and 12 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X