LW Paratrooper Badge by GWL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW Paratrooper Badge by GWL

Back in the 1970s when I lived in Germany, I purchased the above-referenced cased badge, ostensibly from the German vet to whom it had been awarded. My recent research has provided no pictures or other information regarding badges made by this manufacturer, whose name I also cannot find in the "LDO" lists of the Angolia & Lumsden reference books (although I understand that these are not exhaustive). The main site article by Jacques Calero on LW para badges states that LW Para badges have the eagle riveted to the wreath by two tiny round rivets "except the GWL model" and that GWL badges have a special hinge form (vs. the barrel hinge). My badge has two round holes exactly where the rivets would normally appear, except that they are hollow. The hinge is cast into (possibly soldered on to) the top of the back, as is the "C-form" hook at the bottom. There is a standard needle pin.

Can anyone provide additional information and corroboration on these GWL-manufactured badges, and possibly post a picture of the reverse, or direct me to a publication or site where I might see one, please?

Lorenzo has a GWL jump badge on his website. Hope it helps.
    http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Lorenzo,
      Wow! I didn't know you had a website. Nice collection. I'm glad Mark mentioned it in this thread. I am impressed. Where most us try to get one example of a badge you have several. I've seen many collections and I have to tip my hat to yours. Awesome.

Comment

Yep..just finished it about a month ago. Sign my guestbook.."no dirty words, please".
        Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Lorenzo,

Your collection is one of the best ones that I have seen.

Yuri

Comment

Thanks so much for the referral to the remarkable site referenced above, where I found exact corroboration of the details for which I was searching.

Comment

Hi John,

Your badge sounds correct. I have two which are EXACTLY as you describe. And, Lorenzo correctly mentions (on his site)that the wreath is made from zinc. You can usually see some of the finish worn off the highlights in badges like these when viewed under magnification. Plus, have never seen a GWL badge well reproduced,

Regards,

Willi
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

hi lorenzo
                you have created a great site, so i've put it under my favourites

glenn

Comment

Hi Guys. FYI, I bought my GWL para badge off of the Forum's E-stand. A nice badge from Nathan O'Higgins...thanks, Nathan.

If you look on my badge you will see a small crack in the reverse of the wreath next to the left rivet. I have seen several other GWL para badges with the same crack in the same exact location, and I have a theory.

I think the crack in that location is due primarily to the "countersunk" rivet hole that is located close to the edge of the wreath. By countersinking the rivet hole, it leaves very little zinc material in that area to give the wreath strength.

This is further compounded by riveting a brass (tombak) eagle onto a zinc wreath. Having two different materials riveted together will cause stress since the materials expand and contract at different rates. Since the zinc tends to get more brittle over time, the eagle "wins" the stress war...and the zinc fractures.

I think that is what happened on mine because I see no damage on the badge and the crack appears to be a "stress fracture" since the eagle is very secure -not at all loose.

What do you think?

As a further note..I think anybody that owns a GWL para badge should handle it very carefully lest it develop a similar crack. Even though yours may not have a crack, I believe the points I mentioned above could cause it to crack very easily if not handled gently.

[ 01 January 2002: Message edited by: Lorenzo ]
                  Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Interesting series of notes.

I also have a "GWL" marked fallschirmjaeger badge that I have had for 20+ years that also came out of Germany via a friend who had been stationed in Germany in the mid- to early 60's.

Would like to compare mine to the images from the collection.....

Comment

Please post your badge in the Luftwaffe section.
                      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by M. Schroeder View Post
                        Lorenzo has a GWL jump badge on his website. Hope it helps.
                        http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html
                        NICE SITE !!!!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X