krim shield question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

krim shield question

Hello,Is it true that only magnetic(steel) krim shields are authentic?
    I put forward this question because i purchased a copy of robin lumsdens"medals and decoration of hitlers germany".In the section on campaign shields,he claims the narvik,cholm,demjansk and kuban shields were all made out of steel and zinc.For the krim he quotes only steel.I did think to start with that it was a printing ommision,that he forgot to mention zinc version.But i went to the library,and found a book by christopher ailsby(the name escapes me).It is very detailed,and he too only mentions steel(or ferrous as he writes it)versions of this badge.He also quotes steel and zinc for all the other versions,as robin lumsden has.
    So again,Are steel versions the only genuine item?regards gerhard

Gerhard,
    In an Article by Joerg.M.Hormann "Der Krimschild" in Info April'1986.Between 200,000 and 300,000 were awarded and about 1,000,000 would have been produced.He mentions both types the Zinc one which was usually "LDO" and the officiall one which was awarded ,which was magnetic.
    I have owned both at one time,sometimes the backing plate just might be magnetic not the badge!They should weigh with out the backing plate between 6,32-8,00 gramms depending on the manufacturer.
    Regards,
    Josef

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X