Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PO Badge, Who made it?

Hi Guys,
    Recently acquired this PO badge from Detlev that is unmarked. Just curious if based on the characteristics in the photo is it possible to make an educated guess as to who the manufacturer was. The catch does not show up well in the scan, but it is the soldered in question mark type.

Ignored Due To Invisibility.

I have two of these late war pilot observer badges albeit not in the condition as yours is (congrats, by the way). I feel that these were made either by GWL or by another which had access to GWL's dies. The eagle is an unmistakable GWL design, as unique to them as designs were to Juncker, Assmann, Berg und Nolte, Imme, etc.
    WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

I've one of these as well

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NQBoAEETe*9Ajg0mYWjut9FrUkviIfLk9pC1gnl0mktezSud1 QPbjfd5BtW8k4tKW*Zz0hLQx1uInPEzr03IDQ/po_f.jpg[/img]

and I thought it had the same eagle as GWL, but when I got a GWL and compared them under a loupe, they are not the same, yet uncannily similar. I've seen this hinge setup on other Luft badges (para, flak ). Totally baffling!

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OwAAAJcURmvxcAPisRWycVRl4CJ7!2ESGjwqKuP3!ez*SEFIi nyM3AyI0Xi0oI*G87GgI0z55zHZagV63!jax05NHvsu19v5/GWL_fr.jpg[/img]

Rich
      Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
      Decorations of Germany

Comment

Have to side with Rich on this one. I also originaly thought it was GWL but a side by side comparison points out minor diferences. I'm also at a loss.

Comment

I have the same badge (also from Detlev) - only a Pilots Badge.
          At first I thought it was a GWL but also found some differences.

Regards,
          Tim

Comment

Hi,

I have the PO version of this badge too - straight from the German LW Major's family. As with most of the other comments, it looks like a GWL at first but is different under close inspection. The two large GWL wreath protrusions are nowhere near as large on this unmarked type for a start.

Could those of you who also have the same type of badge (PO or Pilot) humour me and have a really good look behind the eagle's head (ie on the reverse) for a small and faint stamp which looks like an elongate doughnut (donut for those of us who are literally challenged - only kidding!) with two lines on either side of it. Mine has this mark but it may simply be a ding it has picked up along the way. Pics were loaded into one of the recent PO image threads.

Regards
            Mike K
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

We had this discussion a few weeks back titled Late War Pilots Badges lots of great images posted. It seems this badge comes with the hinges shown or the standard Army type raised barrel hinge.....On IAB GAB etc.
              My badge from Jamie has the raised standard hinge. I too thought it was GWL but someone else stated they had the exact badge maker marked to Assamann.That is the only time I've heard of a makers mark, if that person is reading this could you post the badge?
              Warren

Comment

I asked this question 2 weeks ago and since these scans are up I'll ask it again. Were the earlier PO badge wreathes gold plated and then later fire gilded and finally gilt washed? just curious. Thanks

Comment

Here is the reverse of my badge with the standard hinge.

Comment

Front

Comment

Heres a cast fake of this badge over 20yrs old, its approximately 1-2mm smaller in wreath size than the original.I remember the badge also came as a PO as well. Bought it from WWII Limited as a study piece.
                      Warren

Comment

There appears to be a very minor did flaw on the eagles beak just below the eye. I think I'm seeing it on most to the postings of similar badges. Anyone have a marked badge with a similar flaw?

Also, there's no trace of a "donut" type mark behind the eagles head on my badge.

Comment

Sorry, not a trace of a mark on the back of mine.

Just to throw in some speculation, I saw on a web site some where a small back shot of what looked like one of these, marked L/50.

Now that would make interesting conversation if it were real, as that would make it a Godet piece. Personally I think not, for one I think the overall construction quality of these pieces is too low to ever be a Godet piece, and secondly I don't think it would have this style of hinge, but rather a barrel hinge.

Would be nice though.....<sigh!>

Rich
                          Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                          Decorations of Germany

Comment

Hi Warren O
                            I'm the guy with the A marked pilot badge from that previous topic of yours. I dont have the stuff to post pics. but on seeing pics. of yours I can say mine is a twinn to yours. Dimple on third leaf at right and 1 fat arm on swas. Same steel hindge and catch. Pin with crimp mark at hindge. Plier mark? Take note of the flaw at 9:30 on wreath reverse. Raised bar erea. Mine measures 43-53.5 mm with 66 mm eagle.Weighs 31.5 grams. The A mark on back is stamped in I think but with 10 power loop it could have been neatly carved I guess. Can't say for sure. Still believe these were made by Assmann. Second pattern? Just my theory. Ever see the early Assmann made later on in zinc? Mines for sale as I'm upgrading all my badges a few at a time.

Ken C.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X