GAB Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GAB Badges

I've taken the liberty of bringing this out of its thread in @reference Material' and posting here.

Does anyone have definite information on this badge being genuine or not

JFS GAB

Regards

Rich
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

Rich,
    I don't know what I'm missing from scans on the internet but I have never been able to tell the difference on the JFS real and fake badges. I've studied the badges on Mike Tuckers site and still can't tell which is which. What did the article say in Militaria Mag.?
    Warren

Comment

Warren

It says:

"In the past few years the german award market has been literally inundated with GAB's bearing 'JFS' on the back. The insignia (pics 1 & 2) is cast in silver metal with the reverse of the eagle, bayonet and grenade cast and hollowed-out. the pin is fitted to tje insignia by means of a large rivoted plat as is the hook. The quality of the finish is excellent, in fact as good as the authentic insignia.
      Surprisingly, when these fakes first appeared, very few collectors and dealers were suspicious. The theory that new stock had been discovered in the 80's was very plausible, resulting in many believing it was authentic. Curiously though, althought these were supposedly mint, they were often 'weathered'.
      Sadly, it must be considered a fake. It is possible to buy then by the box load from Germany for around £13 each.
      This reproduction is modelled on a genuine award (pic 3 & 4) For reference the genuine item is 54mm high x 43 w and 4.5 thick."

The pic numbers relate to those posted on Calvin Halls webpage (see bottom of page for scans)

I hope someone can clear this up, because I'm sure confused!

Regards

Rich
      Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
      Decorations of Germany

Comment

Hello All,

While searching on the internet for somethine else, I stumbled across the following page:

Fake JFS marked GAB

Make of it what you will.

Best,

Calvin
        -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Comment

There is a renown fake dealer named Bob K. from Meadville, PA. who has dozens of these, along with Frank & Reif u-boat badges, L/21 screw back EK I's, and Aurich panzer badges.

Comment

Calvin,
            Thanks for the new site!
            Rich have you handled any of the fakes?
            Warren

Comment

Ill second that, great site Calvin!

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X