Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Narvik-Shield

Dear all,

there are so many NARVIK shields in silver on the market and i see them on shows again and again in large quantities.
    Not only the newest generations of fakes are made very well and it gets harder and harder to detect them. Does anybody know the details how the see whether the shield is a SURE original ?
    Thanks and greetings from germany,
    Christian

Does anybody have a NARVIK-shield which is made of brass ?
    Christian

Comment

Dear Christian,
      my english is too poor, so I show two photos of my Narvikschild. I think is good. The photos are very close.

Luigi

Comment

Now, look the eagle of a common fake...

Ciao.
        Luigi

Comment

Christian,

I have a naval Narvik shield where on the highlights where some of the gilding is rubbed, a tombak type colour is visible. Given the very early date of institution of this award, it is perfectly normal that it would be in good quality metal as well as zink for later examples.
          Of course in later shields it is mostly steel or zinc which was used. Brass is used for so many fakes of course, and the Narvik is about the only shield where I would be comfortable with such good quality metals being used.

Gordon

Comment

Ehm ehm...

1. My Narvikschild

2. A common fake (the eagle):

Ciao.
            Luigi

Comment

Thanks for your answers. My NARVIK shield looks like the one Luigi posted and the details of the front side looks exactly like the details which were published in Doehles book from 1945.
              Gorden: Thank you very much for your info about the fakes made of brass. But there are also originals made of brass ?

P.S. I saw your book about the SS in lots of shops all over germany ( very interesting to read ).

Comment

I had a complete set of 5 shields (award pieces) to a KM officer and an award piece to a sailor, none of the pieces I have/had were brass (although that does not mean there are no brass shields)but fronm a white metal of some sort. Non magnetic.. maybe a high quality Zink ?

Comment

Christian ,

Fior what its worth, yes, I would be hapopy to have a Narvik in Brass or Zinc. I believe early Krim shields were also brass before moving to steel and zinc.
                  I would be less likely to accept a Kuban, Demjansk or Cholm in anything other than steel or zinc.

I notice that Detlev in his catalogue also lists "Blech versilbert" and "Zink versilbert" for the Narvik. He lists Eisenblech and Zink for the Cholm, Demjansk and Kuban.
                  Tombak and brass type alloys were still being widely used in badges at the time the Narvik was introduced. As a general rule I don't like brass shields because they are so widely faked, but if the quality and die striking, age toning and all other factors etc etc on a Narvik was OK, I wouldn't let the fact of it being brass put me off.

Gordon

Comment

Here's a Narvik shield that I keep wondering about..one day I think its real the next the eagle makes me think no..the shoulders are "filled" in...but other wise it seems to look good...alas I never have it near another to compare. Just the photos...

[ 31 July 2001: Message edited by: Jason Hlavacek ]

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: Jason Hlavacek ]

Comment

On a Narvik shield is the area between the head and the wings supposed to be clear? Or are some actually semi filled in? On repros the eagles head seems to be level but originals its sort of at an upward angle? What about the paper backing...would it be the "press board" type of thicker paper?
                      What other details would cause one to think a Narvik shield is not real? I'm gathering info before I look for one...
                      thanks all,
                      jason

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: Jason Hlavacek ]

Comment

Hello all!
                        The shield is made in several versions. Mine, 100% original, is "blech" - I believe the English word is sheet-metal. Painted silver, and concave shape. As for the one who asked about the eagle head, it must be clearly separated from the wing. BTW not all shields were used with cloth and paper, I have seen them attached to the uniform without cloth.

B.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X