• Show
Clear All

Another Gold Wound Badge

What about this one?
    Height: 43.9 mm
    Width: 36.4 mm
    Weight: 33.85 g
    Maker's Mark: 30
    I also have a silver (either worn or tarnished to almost black) version of this badge which is absolutely identical except that the weight is 34.1 g. I have heard that some of these 30-marked badges are good and some are bad.

Thanks!
    George
    George

Hi George,

A very nice early tombak badge and 100% original.
    I don't know if you got it recently,they are
    on the market a couple of months now examples with pin bars and straight pins all are in mint condition.
    All are the early type and tombak and all that i have seen so far are originals.
    I don't know where they come from,but some dealers they have raised a lot the prices on them $200-250! for a gold WB.

The problem with the fakes is for the die-cast badges.
    You can see on this site:http://www.woundbadges.20m.com/
    a nice article on the "30's" section written and compiled by Javier.
    sigpic

Comment

George ditto, thats a nice original. If you only own one gold wound badge, it's nice to have it be an early "30". They are the best for sheer quality IMO, and the wide pin is interesting. These also come with stout needle pins and are also original. Everything else on the badge is identical to yours, just a different pin. I have a gold and silver exactly like yours, plus versions in silver and gold with the needle pin. Its interesting, but my silver w/ wide pin is also tarnished nearly black. I have always thought it might have a silver content,although it is unmarked for one. Some other identification points for these, the rather odd, symmetrical shape of the "3", the twists in left (facing) sword handle are curved, and the ones on the right more straight. Also, the left edge of the right sword handle image is slightly flattened. On the back, the round hinge typically has a little "nipple" of flash at the top from where it was cut, and if you look closely, you will see two small vertical impressed lines on the badge where the hinge attaches. These were used as a guide for the craftsman when affixing the hinge. Sometimes the hinge covers these up, but some is usually visible. Then there is the square catch.

[ 06 January 2002: Message edited by: Andy Hopkins ]

[ 06 January 2002: Message edited by: Andy Hopkins ]

Comment

Thanks for the positive feedback Chris and Andy!
        I got this badge about five years ago in a lot that included:
        1. 1914 EK 2
        2. 1939 EK 2
        3. 1939 EK 1
        4. 2-medal bar, Hindenburg Cross for combatants and 3rd Reich Long Service medal, first class
        5. 4-medal bar, 1939 EK 2 (Schinkel-form!), Heer long service awards (4 and 12 years), and Westwall medal -- with ribbon bar
        6. Gold wound badge, 30-marked
        7. Silver wound badge, 30-marked
        8. Another silver wound badge
        I paid about $300 for everything. I guess I got a good deal!
        I'm also curious about the other silver wound badge. I'll post images and specs on it tomorrow.
        George
        George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X