EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Norway Dockyard Workers Badge, Original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norway Dockyard Workers Badge, Original?

Hi all & xmas greetings,

I am after some assistance on the following badge which has come to light. It was found sewn onto a british naval belt along with some original german naval badges. It appears to be made of a zinc alloy and at some stage someone appears to have tried to attach a pin, I assume to replace the lost original. The badge also displays faint signs of a gold finish in the recesses on the obverse. The reverse retains more of this.

I have only ever seen one of these badges (which I understood to be original)but that was all silver in colour as per Formans guide 2nd ed. From the look of the badge and source it is tempting to say that it is original even though the gold finish is perhaps not what I expected.

Any comments or additional information would be most welcome or thoughts on value considering its poor condition.

Hopefully Mark Schroeder will be able to post some photos in due course

Rob
    Regards, Rob
    Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Here is the badge..

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Broken stickpin???
      François
      Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

Hi François,

Thanks for the reply, what do you mean broken pin???

Rob.
        Regards, Rob

Comment

if my memory serves me well, I don't have books with me now, I think it is a stick pin and that on the one show above, the pin is broken. Again, only by memory and I could be wrong here, I think there is one shown in D. Niemann book with the document.
          Also, only by memory knowing that KM is not my "field", I think that this civilian/worker badge is also related to Saint Nazaire and possibly to all U-boot/KM bases in France, possibly in Europe - Gordon W. will know the answer more than me.
          Friendly
          François

[ 28 December 2001: Message edited by: François SAEZ ]
          Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

[ 28 December 2001: Message edited by: rsh ]
            Regards, Rob

Comment

You are quite correct, the original fixing on these badges was a stick pin which is what I was referring to although I must admit I did not make it clear. As the badge appears to be made from a zinc alloy I think that the original stick pin was probably cast in and snapped off as you suggest. Looking at it closely it appears as if (by the "solder" marks)someone has already tried to fix another stick pin.

Reference material suggests that they are related to the "submarine type" West Dockyard Workers Badge although the actual award criteria is unknown.

My question being is this an original as all the reference pictures I have seen of this badge indicate that it is silver in colour. I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this or have seen a gold finished badge before.

Regards
              Rob
              Regards, Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X