PAB question

guys
    i saw this one for sale
    i believe this is one ugly fake badge
    but maybe,just maybe
    so any comments or opinions are welcome
    thanks guys

glenn

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NgBydI4TkRSkqU8rF1ksBrLihlm1hOypcNIIFhrUR*IcyXT95 uToAejlebCU4nrcIV6Y40Kl*zs0RhT4SRR0jg/fake.jpg[/img]

Glenn, to me that looks like a badge that could be good (would like to see the reverse) but that has definitely had a paint job with golden colour. Enough reason to stay away from it. Bronze finishes, no matter how light or bright some were, never looked like that.

Cheers, Frank
    Cheers, Frank

Comment

--I'm thinking that the color may be due to the camera and/or lighting.
      --In taking pictures of my own pieces I've on occasion had to retake them due to untrue coloring, in my case due to improper light placement. A cheaper digital camera tends to do this even more easily - good lighting or not. If you contact the seller for pictures of the reverse, ask him this.
      --On further thought, some plated badges that are silver in color can tarnish this way. I have a plated tombak GAB that has a yellowish tint to it. I had cleaned it w/soap & water a while back, but the patina came back. It is not as bad now, but still visible (I'll not be cleaning it again).
      --Wait a sec, I'll post a pic.

[ 10 January 2002: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Comment

i've send an e-mail to the seller with a few questions conserning the colour and for pic's of the back,also if there are maker marks
        i'll post the result when i receive a reply from the seller
        starting bid for the badge is 42 euro

glenn

Comment

I do not think this is completely due to a badly coloured picture. Bronze PABs were either plain bronze oxidated or Zink with an oxidated bronze finish, which was quite dark. The badge pictured above (apart from the bad colour) shows a badge that does not have bronze colour applied by a CHEMICAL (oxidated) process, it definitely looks like a colour bronze wash. I have never seen an authentical bronze PAB with a bronze WASH.

Cheers, Frank
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

here are the additional pic's from the seller
            they are bad but it give you a idea
            my opinion is still that this badge is fake fake
            but i'm not an expert so any opinions are welcome

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0MwAAACoSc8ygHS4TNebZi3ibmZEh860h1CleoAItFN4d6fN*W M92FyGr*91oNFyRf3j63B4mNI7W5n67NRLYhA/3.jpg[/img]

glenn

Comment

--Frank, I only made the observation regarding coloring because I assumed that it was a silver PAB.
              --Glenn, I'm no pro at these so my opinion means little, but personally I would pass on it upon seeing the reverse. Too many odd contours for me. The front lacks detail too and the rollers on the inside look like they are overlapping the tread. I don't know that that in itself is the mark of a fake, but...

[ 11 January 2002: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Comment

It´s a silver one indeed, I can´t believe how anyone can post such a bad picture as the first one. Well, the new pictures didn´t make it any better in my opinion. With the hinge/needle/catch construction just no angle seems to be right. Everything is out of line. Needle looks bad. Reverse in general looks terrible.

Cheers, Frank
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

This thread is the poster-child for correct lighting when taking pictures! The hinge looks weird, though it could be the angle; but the pin is give-away on this one. Thats enough to make me pass.

Tom D.
                  If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                  [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                  Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

thank you all,guys
                    i tought this one was fake
                    but you just confirmed it,and like you all know,a second opinion or more is very helpfull for a collector in progress like i am
                    thanks again

glenn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X