Fake Gold Wound Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Gold Wound Badges

Hi all. I am a newer member and I am posting my first questions. I recently acquired a GWB from a dealer and when I received it I found it to be one of the L/14's. authenticmilitaria.com has a picture of this badge on their site. If these are fakes, who made them and when? They are excellent and I am wondering about the heritage of these pieces. I have heard that there is still debate over these and I am wondering what you think. Also, while looking at this badge I compared the pin to one on an EK1 that I have and found them to be exactly the same. If you look closely at the picture of the reverse of the badge on authenticmilitaria.com, you will notice that the pin is not symetrical at the top. The left hand side has a squared appearance whereas the right side is a continuous curve. The EK1 is unmarked, three piece, magnetic with good detail. Is this type of pin "defect" common or are both fakes made by the same firm? If these are fakes who has a catalogue of what they made? Did one firm possibly make pins for several others?

Hello CRB,
    Welcome to the tornado. I can't answer your questions even though I have a few wound badges. I don't know about the ones you are refering too. Be patient, someone will chime in. Many of us read the forum daily others every day or so, some weekly, you get my drift, right? Again welcome to the site where we agree to disagree, as someone said, like friends around the kitchen table. We even have a family food fight now and then.

Gary

Comment

--There is NO debate over the L14's, if there was ever anyone touting their originality HERE, at least - I haven't heard it.
      --The last time we talked here about the origins of these turkeys, it was said that they were produced in the `80's somewhere in Chechoslavakia.
      --Mine existed for a time as a keychain and now as a decoration on a guitar strap. It's been "Imperialized" or "De-Nazified" (whatever) by a Dremel, with which I also engraved big, deep letters - F A K E - in the reverse.
      --Do you mind telling us who you got it from?

[ 27 December 2001: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Comment

These GAB's marked L14,jfs GAB's and L15 Ek1's just to name a few came out of Vienna in the mid 1980's from a Collector/dealer Johannes Floch.
        They fooled a lot of people because the story was they were found in a bunker in Vienna while they were diging up the streets for a subway in Vienna,I lived in Vienna at that time.

Comment

There are several variations on this fake.
          The "olders" have a very bad outside frame,
          on the "new" ones they have fix this problem.
          Also i have seen L/14's with straight needle pins and different design on the wreath.All of them are marked in relief,personally i would avoid any L/14 badge marked in this way.

One recent problem with my hard disk,back up drive,i have lost about 3000 pic's of Wound badges and several other files.
          I try to do my best and in a few days i'll share a tip to indentify the real from the bad.
          sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X