Waffen SS Infantry Assault Badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen SS Infantry Assault Badge?

I recently acquired a JFS Infantry Assault Badge that appears to have SS runes stamped in a circle on the rverse of the badge. The runes are directly to the right and slightly above the JFS mark. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Were IABs ever stamped this way?

Overall the badge is in excellent condition. It seems to be well constructed, typical of a JFS award. It also came from a pretty credible dealer (not some some random Joe on epier).

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OQBJSjgSReyBcogqIFIWdV57Q2oyXfa3RLh25Jdh2IMug9brj Zx8pmQt*rF1Y6XJCu!I0ZhhbQLX8VHjX2bqEnz3ddjM8jrw/JFS-IAB-Obverse.jpg[/img]

Hi,
    The JFS IAB seems to be OK. As for the Siegrunen, it is the first time that I see them on this kind of badge. Would be doubtful about them. They seems to be too perfect to have been made by a soldier and I tend to consider that no units performed such a device. Would you have a better view of these ?
    I would surely have bought this badge provided that the "2 little S " do not significantly increase its price.
    Regards
    Denis

Comment

Brian,

It appears that the "SS" runes were stamped prior to the final finish being applied, if I'm viewing the PICS correctly, is that true?

I am also assuming that the badge is a silver wash over zinc and not an earlier tombak bronze piece?

Very interesting and quite nice looking. If it's legit, it's a real keeper!
      Tim

Comment

Denis and Tball, Thanks for replying.

The badge does appear to be silver washed zinc rather than earlier tombak. Although I can't really tell because the stamp is so light, it does look like the "SS" was done after the the finish was applied. I will try to produce some better images.

I purchased this badge online. There was no extra charge for the stamp. I was just excited about adding a JFS IAB to my collection. I actually didn't know the stamp was there until I had the badge in my hand.

Thanks again,
        Brian

Comment

The big question here, is WHY there are SS runes there to begin with. Someone later messing around with the badge? This cant possible be attributed to any war time production-can it?

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Mark-

I really wouldn't think that the stamp was done during production. It had to have been done after. I think that if it was added by the manufacturer then it wouldn't have been stamped so lightly. I think I may seed a note to the dealer who sold it and ask if he has any info concerning it's origin.

Brian

Comment

I really didnt think this was done during production, but it never hurts to ask.

No doubt this was done by some misguided person who had a SS stamp handy, thinking it would increase value. Luckily, the dealer didnt buy into it.

I wonder though, what items would actually carry this stamped mark? Belt buckles? Guns?

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Several years ago, perhaps 8-9, I was offered by a dealer a lot of stuff incluiding several badges and medals with SS marks, I remember he had Infantry Assault badges in silver, he didn't say if makermarked or not, Panzer Assault in silver and Iron Cross 1st class with or without cases which also were stamped with SS on the upper lid. I purchased normal pieces without problem, several Assault badges in bronce and silver and EK I, but when I purchase more expensive badges all were fakes, unafortunately in that time this dealer ask almost twice from an "SS" piece than a normal one so I refuse to purchase any. Fortunately I have never ear anything more from this man till last 7 seven years, he gave me my first bluff in this world. He alleged this came from stocks left by SS troops retreating into Germany.

Cheers

Angel
                Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Two Close-up images:

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OwA5OBESfvGBcogqIFIWdRCBc8tIL7j*IyryBUszC4pJV7ZqP oNjTeyms60vD13XB3Rl2jO6krI3ti4K7zUZLTt17wLi!MOD/JFS-IAB-Close-2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OwAAABASWfGBcogqIFIWdRCBc8tIL7j*xDQZV8JuPHqdOqywt 6DxHIgtALLcGfrTfkcNxheINDm*x2z1t8*xbEtZubrj!xqi/JFS-IAB-Close-1.jpg[/img]

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X