Luftwaffe Surrender Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe Surrender Photos

I got a scanner for Christmas, so I decided to post a few photos that I recently acquired. These two show the surrender of a few highly decorated Luftwaffe personnel. The photos were taken by a member of the Army Air Corps. I am unsure of the location of the surrender.

According to the story that accompanied the photos, the German wearing the visor on the left only had one hand.

Here is a closup showing his awards...

Can anyone id all his awards?

Enjoy,

Calvin

[ 23 December 2001: Message edited by: chall ]
    -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Calvin--he appears to be an Oberst, with at least the Oakleaves, if not Swords, flight bar with pendant---

and TWO Luftwaffe pilot badges along with German Cross and 1039 EKs!

Comment

That is a famous shot, seen before, of the surrender of Oberst Rudal's SG1 (I think) at Furth. There are shots of each plane landing and being swamped with GIs. I think that is Hans Ulrich Rudel in your picture.

Comment

Maybe one leg/foot (he lost the right one) instead of one hand - now this could match, and (thanks to Rick), possibly a PO with diamonds out of the 2 badges.
        Really nice pics
        François

[ 27 December 2001: Message edited by: François SAEZ ]
        Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

And BOTH of his hands appear in the photo. I double checked my copies of the photos and YES that is Rudel and his surrendering unit at Furth in 1945.....

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for the help in identifying the fellow in the photo as the great pilot Hans Urlich Rudel.

I have several other photos of the surrender. If anyone is interested I can email scans. However, the one that I posted shows his awards from the best perspective.

There are several sites out there that provide a great deal of biographical info on Rudel. One that I recommend is Hans Ulrich Rudel. This one lists accomplishments, awards, dates of actions, etc. Also provides a photo of Rudel's RK with GOLDEN oak leaves, swords and diamonds!

Additionally, this site has some great information pertaining to Rudel. Please visit the following Rudel

Best,

Calvin

[ 31 December 2001: Message edited by: chall ]
            -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X