Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! with 1957 wound badges

G'day,

Reading William E. Hamelman German Wound Badges 1914--36--39--44 and 1957 , he states that :
    All classes are die stamped from white sheet metal. The silver and gold classes are silver and gold plated.
    My question, is the following picture an authentic 1957 award as this badge is solid. BTW, it is a silber
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bill Gracie; 06-03-2002, 08:11 AM.

the reverse

As you can see the reverse is solid. I have a 1957 schwarz which is identical to the 2nd pattern 1939 schwarz wound badge except for the swaz and this badge is stamped brass. The pin has the appearance of being rounded but is actually flat. I have seen other purported 1957 badges that are different again.

Any help is appreciated. well post other photo's later

Regards,

Bill Gracie
    Last edited by Bill Gracie; 06-03-2002, 07:45 AM.

Comment

oops!

the reverse
      Attached Files

Comment

Another type..

front of a Gold 1957
        Attached Files

Comment

Reverse of the 1957 Gold
          Attached Files

Comment

another..

As you can see from this scan this schwarz badge has the same characteristics of the Gold badge
            Attached Files

Comment

Come on....

surely somebody has some idea as to the variants of the 1957 wound badges!!

Comment

Hi Bill,

I don't know much about '57 Wound Badge variants - I'm not sure how many collectors do! They don't seem to be all that common either but they also aren;t in great demand. I've been looking to get a set for a while now and have a gold on the way but no reverse image. I don't know that anyone would want to reproduce them! Wound they be classified as reproductions anyway, as opposed to "late" re-issue pieces? I'd classify them as fairly safe. From what I've seen, 57 wound badges (and other Third Reich medals/awards) were commonly worn on the ribbon bar as devices anyway, rather as pinbacks for pre-45 wear.

I've seen fully hollow/stamped black badges and the type with the rim you've illustrated (gold and black examples above). The solid silver does not cause me major concern either as the hinge/pin/catch look like something that could be found on a '57 issue badge.

I have no idea if I've helped or not. Just didn't want to see this post go unanswered.

Regards
                Mike K
                Regards
                Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

G'day Mike,

thanks for the reply.

I think that collectors of the wound badge would like to round out their collections by adding this type I certainly want too.

But after seeing so many types of purported 1957 wound badges it is almost as difficult as collecting pre- 45 types. Logic would suggest even the 57 has been produced that was the reason for my post.

Mike, when you recieve our gold badge could you please send me a scan of the obverse and reverse.

Btw, the hinge, pin and catch are exactly the same on my 57 schwarz badge as those on the pictured Gold 57.

When i find other variations of the 57 I shall email you pictures

Bill

Comment

If my memory serves me well several pin hinge and catch variations -mainly- with '57 WB issues.
                    I can't add further,i know a dealer in Germany who dealing mostly with '57 awards. If you're interesting i'll tell you his mail to drop him a line.
                    sigpic

Comment

G'day Chris,

Haven't seen you on the forum for a while. Yes I would be interested in the address of the dealer, thanks for the reply I was hoping you'd see the thread.

Regards,
                      Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

I have sent you a pm with the details you want to know.
                        sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X